Just got my new MBP... A few things bother me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Sep 30, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I've been waiting two freakin' years for this thing. Boy was it worth it though. =)
    I'm really glad I held out for the 1920x1600 res one too. It's really nice.. However, being the obsessive freak I am I found a few things that slightly bother me...

-When shut, the left side doesn't lie as "flat" as the right. So, it kind looks like it's sticking up a bit. Like it's bent or something... Anyways... The screen doesn't SEEM to be affected. Every once in a while I'll think it's doing something strange, but it ends up it just changed the brightness on it's own. (How the hell do I turn that off BTW? Dx I don't like the mind tricks it plays...)

-It doesn't lay completely flat against a flat surface. Again, it's not a HUGE problem, but I keep on getting worried that maybe something will break because it accidentaly moved while I was typing. <.<''

Anyways, are these things normal? Are they normal occurences with MBPs and laptops in general, or have I somehow been screwed over?
    I really hope it's nt the second... I don't wanna send my new laptop away. =(
    (No apple stores here to replace it, dont'cha know...)

2. dual64bit macrumors 6502

The display changing brightness is due to the ambient light sensor. Open System Preferences then displays, should see an option like the attachment.

My MBP is the same way with the screen shut the left side is more "poped" up then the right, just the nature of the assembly line I suppose.

Attached Files:

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Nearly every MBP I've come across has an uneven lid. No worries.

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Ah, then it wasn't just mine. =) That makes me feel LOADS better. =)

What about the whole "not resting perfectly flat on flat surfaces" thing though? Is that normal too? You don't think the occasional jerk from a movement caused by my typing would do it some damage, do you? =(

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I will buy a MBP soon too and I hear quite often about this "bent" problem. The fact that a lot of people have it won't make me feel better. If I buy a notebook for 2300 € I don't want it to be bent !! If I have such a MBP a will just go to an Apple store and ask for replacement, no way to ignore it.

Tex

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Now that I've not heard of.:eek:

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Have fun going through infinite replacements then, because they all do that. It's very minor and not even noticeable unless you're looking for imperfections.

8. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Do you mean it wobbles when you type? That doesnt seem correct. The 4 rubber stops on the bottom aren't coming into contact with the desk?

Sounds like a problem to me.

Jeff

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I don't think that this is an imperfection:

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I remember reading an Apple horror story on it before where someone tried to get it replaced when it was flat, but when they changed the screen it was bent. Basically, long story made short, they got a replacement.

It is an extremely common design flaw, much like how the no MacBook's case is aligned perfectly. It's annoying, though has to be dealt with regardless of what they charge.

11. tonie macrumors 6502

Dude, if I pay that much for a notebook, it better be a perfect one. I'm not picky but paying 1000-2500 for a notebook, it better be.

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Nothings perfect. I'm not going to lie, once my MacBook when a millimeter out of line, I freaked out. Got a replacement, but that one got a millimeter off at the same exact place. I'll live with it, but will go back if it gets any worse.

Rest assured, if you get a Pro, most likely your screen will get "bent" sooner or later. Hopefully they'll use the Magnetic hinges, but that leaves alignment....

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

What bothers me is why you didn't wait two more weeks.... you could have gotten the newest model!

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Bent in the newest places!

15. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Actually . . .

I know this is hard for some --especially Mac Forums people -- to believe, but some of us just don't WANT the newest model. I'm as excited as others to see what they might be -- but I have "bled" too many times by living on the cutting edge in the past.

Bought my MBP a few weeks ago and am loving it. I realize that there might be price drops when the new ones are announced but I had money in an account that needed to be spent now. Glad I did it and won't regret it no matter what the new ones are like.

A former "early adopter."

16. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I've never been in this kind of situation myself, but many people here say Apple'll replace your MB/MBP only with the old one, even months after the release. I suppose, since I haven't seen a single story about replacing old model with the new one (although it apparently happens with parts), that they never manage to get rid of all stock at clearance.

17. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I'm not 100% on notebooks either on that, but I know my girlfriend's 30gb white iPod was just replaced by the exact same model last week, so chances are the same would happen for notebooks until they're out of stock.

18. heron88 macrumors 6502

this is an imperfection

my friend got his pro about the same time as me and his doesnt lie flat and the left side of his screen sticks up a little bit.

i was lucky and i got a pro like the ones shown on apples website, as they are advertised be... perfect. it lies flat and the screen is perfectly aligned with no warpage

19. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

See, the thing is, as much as I'd like to believe that two weeks is all it'll take for the new ones to come out, I've experienced too much Mac Forums heart break to buy into bull crap like that. =/
    I remember when everyone was "sure" that they'd be out by the end of August. Then, when everyone was "sure" they'd be out by the 16th of September. Well you know what? It's October now, and I couldn't wait anymore. =/
    Besides, I doubt any update will be too significant as far as speed goes. And I don't care for a design change. Especially if it's more Airlike. (I hate the Air's trackpad and keyboard color. -_-)

Also, I have a theory that there won't be any MBP update until snow leopard. =/
    I have no proof, but it's just a feeling.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I hear you, I'm in a similar predicament. I purchased the MBP at the end of August...however the shipment was delayed (UPS canceled the flight) and I had to move to Australia w/o it. I looked into having it shipped over and it was going to cost $275 before insureance! :eek: So I called Apple & they couldn't redirect it either so they said to return it and buy a new one here which I did.

Now I've finally received my full refund and have a dilemna....

Do I wait 2 weeks to see if the new ones come out....or just go ahead and order the same one I had before? It almost feels like destiny dealt me this hand so I should at least wait 2 weeks...but then again what am I waiting for? I've already bought the BOOQ bag for it....what if they go to 16" 16:9 screens? Then my bag probably won't fit it....I don't want a glossy monitor and need the FW 400 port....some of these rumours are disturbing but I would love a speed bump, more RAM and larger HD. An Nvidia solution would be nice as well. I don't take the rumours as gospel but some of them are not what I'd like to see. I also bought the travel pack and what if they change the charger? ...they've done it before.

I know I could order it now & then just trade it in if the new ones are released in the next 2 wks but I don't really want to screw Apple over. I could be using it right now but its no emergency...I feel awkward paying full price for something that could be updated in 12 days... :(

22. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I have the new unibody model. The alignment on the bottom case is superb, but the screen still does not shut completely flat, nor does it align flush perfectly. I guess it can never be perfect when trying to make to moving parts meet exactly.

23. 7031 macrumors 6502

Err. Did you see how old this thread is? That question was about the old Macbook.

Please, don't bump old threads.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah unfortunately, as great of these computers are, perfect engineer is still impossible so you will have a bit of error. This means you non-perfect shutting screen is perfectly normal.

What's wrong with searching?

DavoMrMac you did a good job doing what many people should be doing.