Just got my new MBP. some questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolvngelz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Wolvngelz macrumors member

Hey guys, got my first ever Mac today. A local store (CompNow Melbourne) called me whilst I was asleep to tell me my machine had arrived. Woke up immediately and ran to the store to pay.

Typing on it right now, it's pretty awesome.

I just got downloaded firefox and oddly enough, there is a firefox logo listed as an external "device" sort off like when you plug a USB in. Why is that?

Also what program do you guys use to download torrents and log into MSN?
    I used to use uTorrent to download em on my PC, it's pretty nice and light weight. Anyone have suggestions for something similar?

And, if something goes wrong and I have to send it in for repair does that mean I have to replace my original Apple Ram before sending it in?

Last but not least, I don't have to worry about Spyware do I?

Thanks guys.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

1. Using and installing apps is one of the most misunderstood and difficult concepts for new mac users. What you did was download the firefox dmg-file, open it and doubleclick on the Firefox app on it. This is the wrong way. What you downloaded was a .dmg (a disk image, not unlike a zipped file or an .iso) which you mount when doubleclicking on it. From there you need to drag the Firefox app to the Applications folder in the Finder in order to install it.

2. Transmission and Azureus are good apps for torrenting.

3. http://adiumx.com/ is imo the best MSN-like client out there.

4. It's a good idea to replace the original RAM before sending it in, so a) you don't lose it and b) Apple won't claim this is why the machine was not working.

5. No spyware, no viruses, no nothing. Use the built-in firewall though.

6. Enjoy and welcome to the Mac community.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hey man

- most apps in Mac OS X are installed from disk images (.dmg)... basically a virtual disk. have a look at this guide on how to install apps in OS X.

- transmission is a great lightweight bittorrent client but has less features than utorrent.

- adium to log into MSN. better than MSN messenger for Mac.

- im not sure. but just leave it in. if there is a fault they will no its not Apple RAM and tell you to take it up with the place you bought it from.

- dont have to worry about spyware, viruses etc as Macs use a different Internets (jk! :D). if a virus does appear in the future make sure you never give your admin password to a suspicious app or installer.

enjoy your Mac!

4. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for showing me what a noob I am guys.

Here's the weird thing tho, after installing Firefox, I can't eject the .dmg from the finder. It says it's still in use but I've closed everything already.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

have any finder windows open? How are you posting...is it through firefox? Try quitting and then ejecting the .dmg. if all else fails just reboot, though technically you shouldn't have any problems ejecting .dmg files that are not in use.

to quit a program, its not like windows where you simply close the window. Press Apple/Command + Q to quit a program, or go to File > Quit [program]. If you close the window, apps like Firefox will stay open for later use.

Dont worry, a lot of people including myself got a little confused with the whole .dmg business. But after you learn it you wonder why Windows doesnt employ such an easy drag and drop install method! :)

you generally don't have to worry about spyware. Most malware come in the form of trojan horses...if any exist. Even then, you'd most likely have to input your password for the trojan to install, which means you are at fault. Just dont download any sketchy programs...i have yet to come across one myself.

I only use Transmission for Torrent files. Azureus is way too bloated and slow, as it runs through Java i believe. Transmission is much more light weight.

For warranty repairs, if its not the RAM thats the problem, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

6. nigebox macrumors newbie

Are you sure you quit firefox as opposed to just closing the window? :eek:

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yep. clicking the "x" in the left hand corner will only close the window of a multi windowed app not quit it.

some apps do quit by clicking the x as they are single windowed apps. some examples are iPhoto, System Preferences, Dictionary, Disk Utility…

8. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

awesome thanks all of you.

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Wow. I just love it when a newbie posts a problem or two on these boards, 3-4 minutes after you can bet your ass that at least 6 duplicate posts will be there taking care of whatever problems might occur.

Pretty awesome really :eek:

10. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

Ouch...

And more newbie questions.

Everytime I open an internet downloaded program it asks me if I really want to open, can that be stopped?

And, AppZapper is a pay to use program, any freeware to delete/uninstall apps?

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im pretty sure you cant stop it. ive never seen a hint that stops it. it only asks you once after youve downloaded an app though.

try appdelete

12. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

More questions yet!

If I put the MBP to sleep will my torrents continue downloading? Or is it sort off a shutdown?

+

Temperature's on iStat not changing with laptop cooler, is it obsolete?

13. Schizophrenic macrumors member

i am a newbie as well! and i am learning from this
    thank you guys
    dmg hmmmm :cool:

14. Czechmac macrumors regular

When you put it to sleep your torrents will not download. Sleep is when computer shuts down everything, but still supplies energy to your RAM so that is can get back to its former state really fast.

it is possible that there are some new temperature sensors in the new MBPs and iStat will need an update. Can't test it as my new MBP is on its way here at the moment.

15. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

So how do I leave my torrent while I'm away from the laptop, cause just now when I left it for 5 mins or so it went to sleep on its own (I think)

16. Czechmac macrumors regular

Well, you can set it to never go to sleep under System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

I think that when you have a program running it never goes to sleep, it never went to sleep for me when I had Azureus running, so maybe try that.

17. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member