Just got my new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ayepod, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ayepod macrumors newbie

hi, it's first message here so hello all. I've just received my new macbook pro and have been playing with it for the last while. I am a convert from pc so have been learning the ropes this morning and have a couple of questions.

I would like to know if i have the multitouch feature on my trackpad. I have no images on it so the library is empty just now so how can i test this out?

I should mention that i bought it from the apple refurbished section. I don't have connection to the net on it yet but will do later.

Another question, I got a disk with it labelled iLife 08 CPU drop in dvd. Is there any point opening this? I ask because when i loaded it up there is iTunes, iLife, garageband etc already installed.

Many thanks and i hope to be a regular contributor to this community.
    Alistair

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

To test the multi-touch just click on the desktop and do the pinch-thingy. The icon(s) up there should become bigger or smaller.

I don't think that you have to put in the iLife CD when the apps are already installed. It's just for restoring them in case you deleted them.

3. ibizarocks macrumors regular

that will be the newest version of ilife so yes I would load it on

as for the trackpad, try looking at some text and using the pinch gesture to zoom in and out of the text. other than that all I can say is go on the net and try out the 3 finger swipe when you get connected.

to be honest though if it is a refurb it is probably going to be merom in which case no trackpad features

4. ayepod thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it seems as though it's the old model. I think i will return it and get the latest one :mad:

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

maybe wrong but would there be any re-furb penryn's about yet as they have only just been released
    maybe thats why you got earlier re-furb

6. ibizarocks macrumors regular

it will be a good few months before u see refurb penryns. maybe by june'ish??

7. ayepod thread starter macrumors newbie

so do you think it's worth exchanging it for the new model? What will i be getting? Obviously i can see there is a larger HD and the multitouch but anything else? I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle and i would have to drop a further £200 or so...

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If it's the latest one just before the release of penryn then id say no

9. ayepod thread starter macrumors newbie

spoke to someone on the online chat system at apple and they pretty much said the same thing. So looks like i'll make do without multi-touch.

Think that's ok?

10. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

IMHO it's ok. The Multi-Touch is indeed a cool feature but a trackpad won't ever be as good as nice bluetooth mouse. I use one all the time :D

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have never used multitouch on mine.

As with determining whether you have it, just look at your keyboard: Does it have a num-lock key on F6? *Along with corresponding number keys on N,M,J,K,L, etc. If it does, you have older Merom machine (w/o multitouch), if you have like brightness adjusters on F1/F2, then you have the new one.

12. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Display brightness was F1/F2 on the older MBP as well.

13. ayepod thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, interesting :rolleyes:. I have a few days to decide anyway, cheers