Just got my new refurb MacBook Pro, do I have a problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djasmooth, Aug 14, 2009.

1. djasmooth macrumors member

How's it going MR Forums? I just got my refurb MacBook Pro in the mail, I love it a lot but got a few questions...

Before this computer I had a MBP 2.2GHZ Santa Rosa and 2 things I realized is that the display seems to be a lot "looser." Like if I walk with the laptop open, the screen starts to fall down back into the sleep position.. Is this normal?

And then when I turn on the laptop or open it up from sleep mode - the hard drive (I believe) make a noise. It's not loud but I remember on my old one it was a quick noise now it does it a few times..

Are these things I need to worry about? The computer looks brand new though and seems to work perfectly..

Thanks

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I went from the SR to the new 15" too. Yes the screen is looser than the SR and will flop down on the keyboard if you hold it a certain way. But it never moves in normal use.

For your other question, my SR and other Macs do make various noises when waking up from sleep. The HD or SuperDrive may make a sound. They are all different and depend on the manufacturer of the drives. But on my new MBP, it is totally silent at all times. I have the Matshita SuperDrive and Toshiba HD, I think.

3. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I noticed this post and have a similar problem. So the hinge is looser than on previous models? The display doesn't move at all during normal use, but if I'm walking or holding it a certain way, the display does move. Is this normal?

Habitus

4. meringues macrumors member

I just got a 2.4 uMBP and FWIW the display hinge is looser than my uMB was.

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd go to an Apple store and check the display models in comparison. If yours
    seems excessively loose you can check with them right there. Do it before
    the ten days if possible.

6. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys!! im going to see a genius this week..

7. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

I just bought a refurb laptop off the apple store and everytime I open the laptop turn it on.. either the super drive or the hdd seems to do a startup noise but does it more than once..

I used to have a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa and it never really did this like how I am experiencing this with the new one i just got...

I went to apple store to see if this occurred on the newer ones and it never happened..

Do I need to return this, is there something I can do myself?

8. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

superdrive noise is normal, ALL macs do it (at least laptops)

10. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

it should do this 3-4 times? never had this on my old one..

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

:apple: MacBook Pro (Mid 2009): Multiple noises from the optical disc drive on startup or waking from sleep

12. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member