Just got my new rMBP, what should I check for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetarheel, Feb 10, 2014.

1. thetarheel macrumors newbie

Long-term lurker here, sorry if this was answered somewhere else. I just ponied up for my new 15'' rMBP (late 2013), and want to know what should I check for in the next two weeks before my return window runs out. Didn't get AppleCare yet (I'm waiting).

I know there was a bunch of hubbub about the rMBP displays (LG vs Samsung) for example. Please experts, tell me what I should check for to make sure everything is in order.

So, what now?

2. JonDziok macrumors newbie

1. Use it normally
    2. Use it excessively
    3. Use it casually

Did any of those operations cause it to:
    • Make funny noises
    • Drain battery more than normal
    • Alert you to dead pixels
    • Crash
    • Become extremely hot
    • Make you regret buying it

If yes, return it. if not, who give a *******? Seriously, I used to have extreme buyer's remorse with large (and small) products. "The grass is always greener... or cheaper...or newer... or a neat new color etc etc". Just use it and if you like it, keep it. if you don't like it or couldn't afford it, get rid of it. My 2006 MBP was the best purchase of my life, only just recently being replaced by the late 2013 15" 2.6 dGPU to keep up with editing 4k. The MBP is simply the best purchase you will ever make in your life (unless you're upgrading because a "newer better" model came out and you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest.

If you aren't comfortable with something, you'll resist it and look for excuses until you can satisfy your subconscious guilt for buying it in the first place. Eventually, if your subconscious doesn't get it's way, you'll end up resenting your laptop, yourself, and anyone and anything that assisted you in the decision and/or "prevented" you (read: failed to support you) in undoing the original decision. DON'T DO THAT. You have 14 days to make an educated, informed decision for yourself. USE that time effectively and make your final decision with no regrets. In the end, it's just money versus your happiness.

TL;DR Try it out yourself and see if you like it or not. If you yourself see something wrong with it or want to bring it back, return it and be happy.

Also, welcome to the Apple Family! :)

----------

Also, this: If there is substantial claim to any inherently poor features of a device, the company will either issue a replacement, fix the problem, or there will be a class-action lawsuit.

I have been given free replacements of the old-style 85W AC adapter for my MBP 4 times due to defective wiring causing shorts and fires (yes, it was VERY exciting). The last one they gave me was the newest model adapter that looks like a toothbrush versus the old ones that looked like... like... I don't know, a mini iPod connector cable with magnets. Anyway, rather than getting sued, they just replaced the faulty part, no matter how many times it went faulty.

So rest assured, no one is inherently out to screw you. And if they are, there's always litigation to exact due justice...

3. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Run IntelBurnTest to check the cooling system
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

BTW the PLS panel that Samsung makes is better than the AH-IPS panel that LG makes but Apple uses both of them. If you have the AH-IPS panel and it doesn't meet your expectations , you can get it replaced I guess.

4. fskywalker, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Congrats! Enjoy it! :D

Apparently only if your machine has the dedicated GPU you will know if your panel is LG or Samsung (through a commnad script). Which model did you purchased?

5. PaythePiper macrumors member

It's threads like these that make Apple fans look stupid. The first thing people want to do is inspect the damn thing for imperfections. Just open it, use it, and enjoy it, and please ignore all the weirdos on here posting stuff. I walked into a apple store, got a random rMBP 15, walked out and have enjoying it immensely since November. No yellow screen, no creaks, no nothing. Stop being paranoid!

6. thetarheel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will definitely check these out later tonight. My rMBP 15'' is 2.3ghz/16gb RAM/512gb. I think I have the LG, but not sure. I'm noticing color issues thus far. I should have been clearer because that was a good point you made. I love it thus far, and though I'm a little paranoid, this is mostly rooted in me trying to maximize the ROI for my $2-3K investment I want to last me years. Some people can buy a car on a whim for example, I prefer to analyze more so I'm prepared.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Check for every teeny, tiny, infinitesimal, invisible-to the-makes-eye-must-use-a-mocroscope, possible flaw...and then trade it for a new one.

OR

Just enjoy your new toy, Mate!:D

8. PaythePiper macrumors member

I totally get what your saying with the money involved. I'm just getting sick and tired of the FEW people that have an issue, flock to a forum, and get people freaked out over nothing.

I get it, there's issues out there, but trust me, it's not all over the place, or apple wouldn't have posted revenue that they post....

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

don't look for anything, use it as you normally would and if something isnt perfoming right than ask the question

10. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Make sure to count the number of bacteria growing on your MBP. If the number is even a bit higher than what it's supposed to be, ask for a replacement.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

How high is the bacteria count supposed to be?
    Do you know where I can find a chart for that?

12. kelon111, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

Some people just don't notice imperfections anyway since they are used to bargain bin laptops sometimes as well.