Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Well,
I just got my powerbook back from repair from the Apple Retail Store. I noticed something weird, they added a new "profile" for my network settings using the modem. It connects to this 1800 number, with the user id: mac and I don't know the password. (It was already filled it)
When I tried to connect, it connects to the internet with a 1800 number!
What internet service is this? Some internal Apple repair center modem service or something?

Thanks again,
Paul :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Oh man, you should try to get that password, I know a friend of mine who is so poor dialup is expensive for him. That would be pretty good for his mac mini.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
For purely informational purposes:

In the days of OS 9, you could copy the pref's file for dialup settings to another machine, and use an account without seeing the password. No idea if it works in X though

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
It should be easy to figure out the password. Just work backwards. Backspace the last letter of the password and try a letter (e.g. a then b then c etc...) until it connects. Its an 1800 number so its free so it wont cost u test it out. And just keep working backwards to u crack it.

Lucky you!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
inlimbo said:
It should be easy to figure out the password. Just work backwards. Backspace the last letter of the password and try a letter (e.g. a then b then c etc...) until it connects. Its an 1800 number so its free so it wont cost u test it out. And just keep working backwards to u crack it.
Hey thats one of the more simpilar and brillant ideas I have heard in a while.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
lol thanks everyone for the replies. I tried checking my Keychain in the utilities folder and it didn't show any password for the connection. I guess I better not format or delete out that location with the free mac internet... Its strange though, the user name was mac, maybe it could be some Apple internet service provider? :) just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.