Just got my Retina iMac....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WilliamG, Nov 3, 2014.

1. WilliamG, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

WilliamG macrumors G3

4Ghz i7, 3TB fusion, 8GB RAM (soon to be 32GB when I loot my 2012 iMac..), M295X.

First impressions:

1.) It looks exactly like my 2012 27" iMac (no surprise!)

2.) It's a shame it boots with a black screen, since it drew attention to some unfortunate light bleed around the left side and top left of the screen (it boots at max brightness which doesn't help things, either...)

3.) It's like going from an iPhone 1/3G/3GS to an iPhone 4. Text is gorgeous.

4.) Screen is very uniformly white, much more so than the previous-gen screens. Not even a hint of the yellow tint toward the bottom of the screen (on my unit).

5.) Just as quiet so far, as my 2012 iMac, though I haven't run anything intensive as of yet.

6.) I got the spinning beachball of death when I created a new user, and had to force the system off (I could still adjust screen brightness etc, but for some reason the Create User screen just conked out). Interestingly, after the forced reboot it ran me through the initial boot screens again but my user name was then in use! Not a big deal for ME, since I want to scrap the OS install and install fresh (as I always do), but still... not ideal!

7.) I know this has come up a few times, but this is definitely, definitely 60hz in all display modes, including native 5120x2880 (accessed by holding down the Option key while clicking the display properties).

Other than that, this is an iMac, through and through. The screen is really out of this world.

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Thanks for the info.
    Can't wait to get mine later today.

CONGRATS!

3. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Sounds great, enjoy your new iMac! :)

It would be great to hear some side by side gaming comparisons with your non-retina iMac in native 1440p, vs. riMac in normal 1440p (not retina) resolution.

Is the retina display more blurry/unfocused in the non-native 1440p resolution vs normal iMac in native 1440p?

Thanks!

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I have some info for you on this. I just ran some Diablo 3 on this new system. 2560x1440 non-Retina looks "fine." It's not quite as sharp as 2560x1440 on the older iMacs, but it still looks reasonably sharp. Interestingly, as you get a little higher than that (Diablo 3 supports some really peculiar resolutions), things get a little sharper. 5120x2880 is not noticeably sharper than say...3342x1880 (yes, that's a supported res by Diablo 3). If you get up close to the screen you can see a small sharpness difference, but at normal viewing distances it's VERY slight.

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

yay I am glad you are happy!!!

I received mine today and I LOVEEEE it!!!

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Haha yeah. I feel the excitement. :)

7. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

just got mine today, it was a day early :) The text looks like it was printed on the screen. Haven't tried any real 4k video beside some videos recorded on my Oneplus one phone and youtube videos.

8. Gary Irwin macrumors member

...and Me makes three(!) as I also received my new riMac today. I don't know what folks are talking about when they say they can't see the difference between a retina screen and non-retina....I wear glasses and sit 18 inches from the monitor and the difference is nothing less than stunning.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience...my first iMac! :)

Cheers!
    Gary

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Some more thoughts... the M295X runs HOT. I mean HAWT!

Just 10 minutes of Diablo 3 in OS X at 2560x1440 (non-Retina) and the max temp record according to iStat Menus was 105C.

This is definitely quite a difference from my 2012 iMac's GTX 680MX, but without the performance increase to go along with it.

But... typing this text right now brings a smile to my face, so I suppose I can live with it. :p

10. habeebhashim macrumors member

I get that temp as well when playing under Win 7 with the 295X. But the back casing is only slightly warm to the touch.

Any thoughts on the long term effects on the rest of the components?

While I did play as much with the mid-2011 27" iMac (Radeon 6770M), I never did bother measuring the temp. So can't compare with the current i7/295X machine.

11. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Have you experienced any lag issues, such as when browsing the iMac with Retina display pages on apple.com, co-incidentally? Mission Control seems to be noticeably less snappy than the previous-gen. iMac. Can you try that out and let me/us know? Do you think they might be software-related?

Thanks a bunch! Good points, btw!