Just got my rMBP 15" Mid2012 a battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crould, Jul 31, 2017.

1. crould macrumors newbie

crould

Hi
    I just got my rMBP 15" Mid 2012 a battery replacement. I just check with coconutBattery it is nearly a year old from the date of manufactured (2016-09-16) or 318 days. Will this affect its life span?

Attached Files:

2. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I would say yes it would affect its lifespan. Newer cells are obviously better. Also how the cells have been stored for the past year would greatly affect how good they are now.

What is the designed capacity / current capacity showing ?

3. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

Here it is

Attached Files:

4. tich macrumors member

tich

I would say you're okay there. 98.6% of design capacity is pretty solid. I'd be more disappointed that you didn't get a new machine :p

5. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

As above - looks good. Just keep an eye on it as the strain of being used may cause the capacity to drop off quicker than expected from new cells.

6. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

Well, I am a bit disappointed too T_T, anyway, thank you for your quick responses
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    I planned to use this rMBP for a few more years before upgrading it. Thank you for your quick responses

7. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

It is normal that only 10 cycle the capacity lost nearly 500 mAh when compare to 10 days ago?

Attached Files:

8. Moriarty macrumors 6502

No, that's not normal at all. If it goes under 80% within a year, take it back to the store and Apple should replace it for free. Apple gives most repairs a 90 day warranty (which is a bit pathetic, given the high cost – IMO it should be one year), but replacement batteries do get a full 1 year warranty.

They might even replace it right now if you ask nicely, but you won't get a CRU because the shortage is over.

9. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

I have contact Apple about this. I still do not get any reply yet

10. vjobs macrumors regular

I wouldn't say this is normal, but not unusual either. The battery capacity is calculated on two variables, thus it might fluctuate (had this with my 2012 cMBP, fluctuations between 90 and 96 %). If it goes under 80% in a year, sure contact Apple. Also If your battery capacity keeps degrading this quickly coming months, contact Apple.

11. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

Apple only give 90 days warrantee, so I can't wait that long. I am still wait for Apple to reply me

12. khabboub macrumors member

yeah thats normal. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and the capacity fluctuates. the reading will change based temperature and current charge percentage. lithium ion battery are notorious for not being accurate, its just the nature of the batteries. I wouldn't worry about your battery.

here is an example of my reading.

Attached Files:

13. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I just got my 2012 rMBP back from the Apple Store and it is a new battery. According to CoconutBattery, it was made by Simplo on 7/22/2017. The battery had 1 cycle on charge count. And fully topped off, had 104% capacity at 8750 mAh. I also missed the free replacement program by a day and had to pay the $199 charge but love the replacement keyboard and trackpad that comes with the replacement. It's a very fair price to pay to get another 5 years out of my computer.

14. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

I will monitor it weekly to see the change. Thank you for your response
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2017 ---
    My batt start with 1 cycle as well but the date of manufacturing is 9/16/2016 that is nearly a year old.

15. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Provided the battery was stored correctly during this period, the age is not a huge issue IMO. However, if the battery was kept at an incorrect temperature, stored at full capacity, or stored at extremely low capacity, there is research demonstrating that this can have some serious implications regarding longevity.

While fluctuation on battery health stats are completely normal, I agree that such a large fluctuation is not normal but also not unheard of - BUT, we do not know exactly how accurate Coconut Battery is, or even how well the battery reports information. (Just playing around with CB and Apple's own MRI, I've noticed that sometimes there is a discrepancy between the two - the exact reason for this I cannot say.)

FWIW, if I was in your personal situation, I would probably reset the SMC, do several light discharges (say down to 80% capacity and then recharge [these are not calibration discharges as such things do not exist on this model]), and then monitor for any changes. If the capacity further decreases, I would take the system to an Apple Store or AASP and request they run their own battery diagnostics on it for a more detailed (and presumably more accurate) evaluation of health. If I was really worried about it, after a month of usage I might take it in regardless of what CB reports and have Apple's own diagnostic software evaluate it to determine if its wear level corresponds within acceptable standards relative to its usage. YMMV.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

That battery looks fine.
    Stop worrying about it, and just use the MacBook!

17. crould thread starter macrumors newbie

crould

That is what I am thinking too. I have to use this rMBP for another 3 years, so I had better gotten it to the best condition possible
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 ---
    I have to worry as the price for battery replacement here (in Thailand) is very expensive (~US$273). and I have to use it for another 3 years