Just got my rMBP, question for other owners.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevelasquez, Aug 12, 2012.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I have the 512 GB, 16 GB, 2.6 GHz rMBP and I was looking at my storage on the system profiler, and according to that I have 22.09 GB of "Other." This is a brand new computer that hasnt had anything transferred to it, so I have no idea why this is. Is this normal? Did you guys experience the same thing? Please let me know.

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

The HD recovery partition takes less than 1GB.

Bootcamp or Linux partition? Returned or refurbished laptop? :eek:

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. Kindakrazy macrumors newbie

"Other" is literally anything else that is not definied in those categorys. 22 GBs is pretty normal for a new computer. Anything larger than 100 you may want to take a look at your files. Things that go into this category are Games, Documents, Mail (often causes problems if you ever notices the other category abnormally high it is often Mail).

If you arent happy with this answer check out OmniSweeper it is an application that breaks down your entire HD and how it is being used.

5. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

daisy Disk says it is something called "sleepimage" and i have absolutely no idea what that is.
    Anyone else know what this is?

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

sleepimage is basically that checkbox when you shutdown your machine. It ask you do you want the system to remember all of the applications and windows that was open. If you want the system to remember all of this it needs to store on the SSD the sleep image state so that next time you cold boot the machine, the system can restore all of the windows you previously used.

7. katmeef macrumors 6502

The Sleepimage is used when your system goes to sleep or resumes from hibernation. It stores the contents of ram, it is not used on a cold boot however.

8. andothfc macrumors regular

sleepimage is always at least the size of the amount of RAM you have installed. So that if your system is using all that RAM and needs to write it out so that data is not lost when the battery dies, it has the space to do so.

You can turn sleepimage off pretty easily. It is only used when your machine runs completely out of batter when asleep. So it depends on your usage whether turing it off is advisable.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

It is when you do a shutdown and checkbox the reopen windows when logging back in dialog box.

10. katmeef macrumors 6502

when you do a shutdown the Sleepimage is not used regardless of the reopen windows check box. Sleepimage is used for saving the ram contents during sleep / hibernation (hence the name). Some more info here http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/11/sleepimage-mac/

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing it up!

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

That file is related to the sleep mode active on your Mac. See the explanation below. You probably have hibernation mode 3 active, which uses the sleepimage file.
    ----------
    pmset -g
    will list all the current power settings/device settings.
    man pmset
    Shows all of the manual for the pmset command
    You can also check which mode your Mac is in by running this command:
    pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

1. set hibernate mode to 0
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    hibernationmode 0 is normal sleep, kept in ram nothing written to hdd
    hibernationmode 3 is safe sleep, kept and loaded from ram, written to hdd in case of power loss
    hibernationmode 25 is full hibernation, memory is written to hdd and then ram is powered off
    Manual says mode 1 (and 5) are "not recommended"
    --------------------------------
    2. If you use hibernatemode 0, you can delete the unnecessary sleep file to regain disk space equal to memory (saves the same amount of disk space as your RAM, eg. 8 GBs), since hibernate is disabled.

if you want to reclaim the space the hibernate file takes up (valuable on an SSD), you can use the "Go" Menu and "Go to folder" for that. The file is found in the /var/vm/ folder, and is named sleepimage. Reboot and simply delete that file,. Or use this:
    sudo rm /var/vm/sleepfile
    :cool: