Just got my rMBP. WOW!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applefanboy4, Sep 4, 2015.

1. applefanboy4 macrumors regular

So first few minutes on my new rMBP, and I love it. Finally upgraded from my full to the brim 2008 Macbook. Funny story, when I just opened my rMBP a few minutes ago and excitedly went to power it on, I looked for the power button and didn't see it. I thought, oh my god, I got a faulty one. I searched for about 5 minutes. The realized the power button for newer ones isn't above the keyboard, it is ON the keyboard. Its so light and sleeker compared to the 2008 one. And no CD Drive. So strange. But I love it.

I almost don't want to add anything to my macbook, no movies or music. I almost don't want to sync all my many gb's of music from my old macbook onto this one.

It works great as is right now.

I considered waiting until skylake but I couldn't hold out. Oh well. Its a major upgrade either way, and Im getting the 6s this month anyways, so I will be on the cutting edge with that.

And with so many years used to the tracking pad, it took a second to get used to force touch. I double clicked on something and it didn't work, so I was thinking, what the hell? But Im getting used to force touch.

2. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Loving my month old rmbp. The black levels are amazing.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

That is too funny about the power button. I had a similar experience when upgrading a couple years back.

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Awesome. Enjoy your new macbook. :)

5. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

Had mine for 6 months and love it! Enjoy!!

6. applefanboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

I love that about Apple products. The screen always looks dang crystal clear and it looks like the words pop out at you. There may be pixelation but I can't detect it at all.

7. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Even with 512 GB SSD, I opted out of storing music or movies on my computer's hard drive. That's what I use my 1TB external hard drive for (it's constantly connected to my external monitor which in turn is constantly connected to my rMBP). The external HD came free with the Macbook, so it's a win, win!

Congratulations on the new Macbook, though.

8. applefanboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

Do most people do this now? I had my 2008 macbook filled to the breaking point with music mostly. Now with the new rMBP not having a CD drive, and just personally using spotify and pandora and youtube to stream music, do you think most people do one of the other as opposed to storing it on the macbook? Either buying a separate external hard drive/streaming off spotify?

9. Hypnosis macrumors member

I haven't downloaded a song or movie in years; I just stream all my entertainment.

10. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Congrats on the new rMBP! So exciting!

I did the same thing. My old '09 had everything on there and when I upgraded to my '14 & coming down to 256GB I decided just to put my gigs of music, movies, and tv shows onto a 1TB external hard drive. It's sort of odd but after upgrading I just found myself just streaming (spotify/Netflix/Hulu) more instead of downloading to keep. I find it nice in a minimalistic kind of way.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I rarely stream anything. I use iTunes radio on my iPhone/iPad and Macs still.

I have my entire music collection (14,000 songs) in iTunes but it's stored on an external drive on my 2015 15" MBP. I also have about 100 movies and about a thousand iTunes purchased TV episodes on that drive. I use my ATV2 to watch them.

I also bought a new 2012 13" MBP about a month ago to use just for iTunes. My whole music is on it's built in drive. If I do ever want to take a computer with me sometime, it will be this one since I can burn CDs for my car or sync iPhone/iPod Classic to it.

12. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Personally I still store my music in the computer. The library is around 16GB, so it is small enough to carry on the computer, and using iTunes instead of anything online enables you to turn off WiFi and really improves battery life! (iTunes isn't a battery hog by any means, unlike Spotify)

However, using an external drive also seems like a good choice.

Also, my rMBP just turned one year old, and from what I can tell it is as fast as in the day I bought it - even with "all that" music. Long gone are the days of Windows :)

13. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new rMBP! :) I remember the excitement I felt when I first bought my rMBP about two years ago. Still running fast since the moment I fired her up! I also keep all my movies/shows/music on my MacBook because I purchased the highest storage available - 1TB - and a few extra on my external 1TB hard drive. There's nothing that keeps this beauty from running slower or anything with her storage nearly filled up. What I usually do anyway is delete a movie/show after I've finished watching it on the Mac since I have them all saved on the external drive anyway, so I regularly clear out space on my rMBP.

14. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Black macbook was such a step up from my IBM T42.

15" 2013 haswell Macbook pro from the black macbook was not as much of a step up because a huge part of the previous difference was OSX.

The Retina and the PCI-E were more subtle upgrades that only become obvious when I have to go back to a non-retina mac or a peecee.

15. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Congrats on the laptop! I remember running into the same thing with my 2013 rMBP and the power button haha.