Just got my Samsung 830...Please confirm I understand the next steps!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, Dec 8, 2012.

1. jbsmithmac, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

jbsmithmac macrumors regular

Hello,
    I just got my Samsung 830 today, it will be going into a mid-2009 MBP 2.26GHz.

Below is my understanding of what I need to do to install it (the CD and samsung materials that came with it is what's confusing me).

1) I am going to do a clean install of ML, so I already have my ML install USB thumb drive prepared.

2) I've backed up my current HD with Time Machine, however I don't plan on using this since I'm doing a clean install.

3) Remove old HD (I've got a HD enclosure for it).

4) Install the Samsung 830

5) Press "C" during boot to boot from the USB ML Install drive

6) Use Disk Utility to format the 830...formatting it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

7) Install ML from USB

That's all I am currently planning to do...Am I missing anything? I think I've been told to leave TRIM alone for the time being with this drive.

Do I need to go into Energy Preferences and un-check the option for allowing the HD to sleep? Since there's no moving parts in the 830, is this necessary - I've read some threads about this (some saying to check, others saying to uncheck).

Thanks for validating my steps for me!

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

After you install the 830 inside your MBP, connect your old harddrive and boot from there. Then clone your harddrive to the 830 using superduper or something of the sort.

Much easier

3. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

I want to do a clean install - I don't wan't all the apps/files/etc that are on the machine now as it was not mine previously (another family member's).

4. Raunien macrumors 6502

In that case, carry on with your initial steps. I think you got it :)

5. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10