Just got my ZAGG invisibleSHIELD...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by msizzle64, Jul 16, 2008.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

and it's really difficult to apply. i'm just applying the back-piece and the corners don't mold correctly. very frustrating. if u have any questions just ask.

2. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Aren't you afraid of that "Water solution" damaging your phone.

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Yup, that's scaring me too.

I actually went ahead and bought one, and have it sat here and now don't know if I want to apply it or not.

Also, I read somewhere else about somebody taking the back part off and it took the lettering off the back of the phone with it.

It's a dilemma!

:eek:

4. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well, kinda, i'm not puting it on the front. i'm afraid the solution will damage that. only the back. i made sure nothing got in the ports and i don't thing the solution would damage the plastic.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

here are some tips for people installing InvisibleShields (or BSE, etc... they're all the same). I've done this before and have a few tips:

1: Make sure your phone is spotless before you apply the skin. I use a microfiber cloth and a cleaning solution. No use installing one of these with streaks/fingerprints/dust underneath!

2: Dump out the application spray into a dish and add maybe 1/2 cup of water (depending on the size of the dish)... just enough to be able to fully submerge the skin. This ensures that the entire skin gets wet and you have really no worry about getting fingerprints on it.

3: use the camera hole as a guide. Since it's the only real obstacle on the back, make sure it's lined up right. Don't be afraid to peel it up 2-3 times (took me 5 tries with the 3G), dunk it back in the solution, and try again.

4: Make sure the skin is lined up PERFECTLY before you begin squeegieing out the solution. I like to do this whole thing on a paper towel, so that any runoff gets soaked up into the towel and not my phone. After doing this 3 times already, I've found that I'm somewhat careless about getting water on the phone. I don't suggest it, but I find that doing what I need to do to make the skin looks perfect in the end. I've had no problems with water damage.

5: Make sure ALL of the bubbles are out of the center of the skin. Keep checking throughout the project -- sometimes they sneak back into the middle, and once the skin has begun to set it's impossible to get them out.

6: BE PATIENT! I can't stress this enough. The corners WILL take you every bit of 45 minutes to get to finally stay down. Don't give up, and don't try to cheat. Set aside at LEAST an hour for this project, and be prepared to use most of that time trying to get the corners to stay down. Sometimes letting the skin dry a bit helps with sticking the corners -- just make sure that you don't get your fingerprints all over the corner flaps. It's an art, treat it like one :) If you DO get fingerprints all over the flaps, just wet your fingers in the solution and rub them out of the skin. It'll set you back about 5 minutes, but it's worth it.

This is most definitely harder than the 2G iPhone... I admit, my skin does not look perfect, but it is applied correctly and does look pretty good.

Edit: bigscotal: the lettering/apple logo is beneath a few layers of plastic. I never had a problem with my 2G iPhone, but there should be zero problems with the iPhone 3G.

6. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

can you show pics? ;) My Zagg shield will be arriving tomorrow and I actually end up buying one for my macbook and psp also, so I might practice the shield on my psp first before I do it on my precious Iphone!:D

7. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Are you able to remove the shield after its been fitted say if you have it on for a weeks and you don't like it. Will it damage the iPhone when its removed?

8. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the iPhone 3G (who would?) or with the IS, but when my 1st gen was replaced by a Genius I covertly stripped off the skin before he replaced the device. The lettering didn't strip off and aside from some dirt around the edges (since these skins do tend to get a bit grungy around the edges unless you pick 'em clean occasionally) the phone was spot-free. It looked brand new.

9. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well on the original iPhone the lettering was laser etched onto the back. the 3G looks like it is painted on. i hope nothing happens. i posted a youtube vid on the application process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXIzor5-lE

10. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

good video, i cannot believe you took the time to film it. its funny you used the song that apple uses a lot. Good job.

11. k3roro macrumors 6502

I did the same thing. I even went as far as thinking about having someone hold it in the air while applying from the bottom so any water droplet would not go inside the phone. At the end of the day, I returned it, did not want to risk it.