Just got new ipad - return for Sept update?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nrwrit3r, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Should I return the new ipad for the september update? I heard it may be having a little bit of a tweak so it doesn't take as long to charge/has half the LED's powering it or something? Do you guys think it may look a little less good, or will it look the same but be a bit better?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My iPad 3 is just outstanding. Well debugged and smooth, I'd keep the one you have.

Any upgrades may only be minor. Those that are software updates will be available to you.

Enjoy :)

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

They aren't going to update the iPad in September. Enjoy what you have.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

YES! return it now and hold out for the iPad 6!! :eek:

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

you have 14 days to return it….so return it right away and wait for refresh. If there is no refresh then you can buy an iPad 3 again. :rolleyes:

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

every year they say the ipad is getting updated in the fall and every year it doesn't. the best your going to see this fall is the ipad mini and maybe a silent upgrade on internals on the ipad 3. the next ipad wont be out till march. just enjoy what you have.

8. roberthodgson macrumors regular

9. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

There is more noise than normal from reputable sources regarding a small update to the new iPad which makes me think there may be something cooking in September. That been said, you have to work out how important these changes are to you to help you decide what to do. The rumours have it that the refreshed new iPad will have the same form factor but may have the new small Dock Connector, a rear-side microphone. The rear-side mic might aid in noise cancellation. There is some more vague talk of some tweaks inside to improve heat rettention issues. To me, only this last improvement would be a good enough reason to return now. But only if your current machine suffers from over-heating. In all, if you are happy with your display etc. I would just keep it if I were you.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If you can live without one for a few weeks, return it.

You can always get another if there is no update and all your have lost in a few weeks without one.

If there is an update then you will be pleased you have the latest version and when resale time comes it may add to it's worth, as you can advertise it as being the better later revised version.

So it's win win for you really.

The only negative point is not having the iPad to use now for for a few weeks.

11. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

It's not going to be updated, it's like the iphone a new one comes out every year.

If there's an ipad mini I'll eat my hat! Every year we get this, haven't people twigged on yet?

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

We may not be talking about "officially" updated.

Many many items get tweaked/revised during their product cycle, if you look at even motherboards you see like v1.0 v1.1 v1.2 type changes, even thought officially it's the same product.

They may change things, but keep "in spec" so as far as official lines go there is no change, but there may well be electronics changes.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think there will be an updated iPad released in September. At best, Apple will release the iPad mini.

14. myrtlebee, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Anyway, OP, there will likely not be another update this year so either enjoy what you have, return it to get the rumored iPad mini in the fall, if such a thing exists, or return it to get the new generation iPad in Spring 2013.

15. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Just keep it and be happy. It is an awesome as it is. If you want a smaller screen, then return it.

16. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Every prior year the rumors were based on nothing and respectable journals stayed out of it. This year the rumors are based on statements from parts suppliers and the Wall Street Journal has stated that it is coming.

Like you, I did not believe it in previous years, but this Fall or next Spring it seems likely.

17. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

18. dchao, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

Jobs is rolling over. :eek:

They don't need that, and there is no need to compete with Amazon and HTC on sub $200 7" tablets.

And we all know Apple have fed dummy products to their suppliers to weed out the non-trustworthy ones.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

We also know that Steve Jobs repeatedly downplayed or outright insulting things he claimed he wasn't working on, only to reveal such a thing a few years later.

You could be right. I could be right. Time will tell.

20. madsci954 macrumors 68030

iPad 6 is gonna suck big time. iPad 7 is where it's at!

21. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

If there is to be a minor refresh to the iPad, it is no doubt being driven by the desire to have the new dock port on all of their iDevices simultaneously. It seems extremely doubtful that Apple would do this as some kind of strategy in maintaining sales against Android & Win8 products, which IMO don't represent a threat and likely won't until sometime 2013 (if that).

As I've said before, if Apple is motivated enough to change the dock port on the iPad 3, which will require an updated back shell, then why not make a few minor tweaks under the hood to address "perceived" issues like: surface heat temps, poor audio while filming, lengthly battery charge times. The first and last can likely be corrected by switching to a 32nm processor (same a5x though), which will generate less heat and allow for a battery shrink for the same runtime.

Ets Funn Spekulatin'

22. danielceleste macrumors regular

Highly doubt there will even be an iPad mini, let alone a new one this fall.

23. bobright macrumors 601

I thought the refresh was more or less the same but that main thing being smaller??

24. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Go to the buyers's guide tab above. What does it say?

"mid cycle, buy now!"

Unless you are interested in a 7" ipad, keep whatyou got. Look atapole's history; for three years, ipad refresh once a year. They would not release a new version when ipad3 just barely finished rolling out internationally.

25. mmo macrumors member

I really can't see them updating it. If they update to fix the heat issue, don't they then acknowledge the problem? And what would all of us who already own a new iPad say. I know that personally I would be relatively annoyed that I got a "beta version" new iPad...