Just got new iPhone but it has passcode lock, can I just restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fendi10023, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fendi10023 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just picked up my 5s from the post office and it had a passcode lock when I turned it on. I bought it from eBay and read sellers do this a lot to have "proof" the buyer received their phone. I don't really want to wait hours for the seller to reply back w/ the passcode, so would it be okay if I just reset the phone in iTunes?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it's JUST a passcode lock, then you can restore the phone via iTunes.

But if it's a passcode lock and Find my iPhone is enabled, after you restore the phone via iTunes, you will not be able to complete the setup assistant.

During the setup assistant, the phone will check in with Apple, see that Find my iPhone was enabled before you wiped it, and it will not let you proceed with the setup without entering the former owners Apple ID user name and password.

3. Fendi10023 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah forget it, iTunes says it can't connect while the phone has passcode lock.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Put it in DFU mode, then restore.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Better hope your eBay seller will give you the passcode, otherwise your expensive purchase is useless and you will have lots of fun working trying to get your money back.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Translation: I didn't really buy it from a seller who passcode-locked the iPhone as a safeguard and am looking for guidance on how to hack it.

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Or not. I actually think this is legit.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, truly legit would simply be getting the unlock information from the seller.

9. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

If it's new, how does it have a code in the first place...?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, an increasing number of sellers are resorting to passcode or activation locking the iPhone to prevent item not receive claims (although it won't stop scammers from filing a not as described dispute and shipping back an empty box). Any other way around it is suspect.

----------

Where in the OP does it say it's unopened?

11. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I take back what I said now. I just looked at OP's previous threads and I saw one thread about him getting an iPhone successfully from a sprint store, then the next day he made another about how the sprint store was out of stock and wouldn't give him one. That is enough evidence to me that this guy just posts fake things to get attention or troll or something similar.

Then I saw a thread about how he got an iPhone stolen and how he was at school and some kids stole it, meaning he is a kid himself and shouldn't be buying things on eBay that can't be trusted. This item, if it is really payed for, was obviously not trustworthy because the seller sold it for $460, according to another thread, but that was a month ago so why would he have waited a month to post a thread about it being passcode locked?

I should have done at least a bit of research before saying this guy is legit and take back ever having said that he was.