Just got new macbook..first one..should I bother with this imperfection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vraev, Feb 26, 2011.

1. vraev macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My first mac. I like it. Its the base 13" mac for strictly university work purposes. I am a power PC user and my main PC is the Asus G73JH that screams. Anyways... when I got the mac in store...as expected box sealed..mac sealed.

But when I opened it ..I noticed that the aluminium has small scratches.

Here:

Notice the white almost like hazy marks on the metal

[​IMG]

A little closeup on that white hazy mark

[​IMG]

Last...even more forgivable than the above marks..but still stunning to see a new piece to have this.. a small actual CHIP. You can touch it and it feels like a bead. Perhaps apt way to describe it is...dust particle on which paint was laid over...giving a GRAIN on the metal.

[​IMG]

Initially..I was like...comeon' nothing is perfect in life...the notebook is fine otherwise...another small issue is one of the keys had that white kinda scratch...but u only see it in light. But apart from that...not really a big deal. Everything looks new otherwise and IT WAS SEALED when I got it. I was stupid enough to ask him before getting the macbook...btw..these are not reboxed units but are new ones right? (Becos I had issues with my iphone 4 which I had to get replaced and they clearly gave me refurbished units).

But now...after transferring everything...installing all my programs... was just curious and noticed that NO ONE EVER had this kind of imperfections in their macbook pros.

Do you guys think it is something I should bother with? I really don't want to return this (just picked it up today...installed all the crap I need) and start over. Does this signs of minor aesthetic imperfections mean something? bad unit?

any advice?

thanks,

V

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Yeah, if it was on the bottom, I wouldn't. But around the keyboard area? **** that mess! Exchange.

4. vraev thread starter macrumors newbie

But the reason I am kinda hesitant after my iphone headache...the exchange units were refurbished and they had worser problems. My iphone got changed 4 times till I got the current one I have. My point is...I rather live with a cosmetic scratch than actual functional issues in replacements.
    So would they actually replace it with a BRAND NEW BOX unit and not bring out a refurbished macbook? Apple always say its new...but clearly with iphones atleast...they never seem to give out new ones.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Since you just bought it, return it and get your money back.

Then go and buy a new one again.

6. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

If you want them to give you a new Mac, just return it within the 15 day window, no questions asked. Then buy a new one.

In all honesty though, MBP's pick up scratches quite easily. Well no, that's not entirely true. Specifically, the scratches that you DO get are quite permanent. I know everyone wants to have a pristine computer especially if it's brand new but within a couple months, you'll put a scratch in that thing and it'll break your heart. Until you get a second one and then you realize those were neither the first nor the last.

Just my two cents :)

7. vraev thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all...Phew!!

now let me explain..lol....I know...should have done this before..call me dumb. LOL!...but

check this out.

I read your replies and was thinking.."Great! what a hassle...annoying when I want to be a perfectionist" and was regretting the idea of removing everything...going to apple store (50km away) with a busy week ahead to bother with this nonsense.

Anyways..lol..I kinda used a paper napkin..licked it a bit and tried wiping it hard after dry wipe failed. LOL!!

[​IMG]

ITS GONE. Well..that little paint chip thingy dot is still there. But hey..the arm rest area looks clear. LOL! Good enough for me. Rest of it is perfect. Don't want to deal with other major issues in replacements (my luck).

BTW...sorry for wasting everyone's time..but...while u are here..

can u recommend things to protect the aluminum? any invisible sheild sort of stuff? should I keep using that keyboard foam to prevent making marks on LCD? Should I get invisible sheild type of stuff for keyboard to prevent oil stains.

any advice to protect the surfaces is appreciated? My purpose? wait till the 13" from 2013 or so with an actual good GPU, sell this for like 800$ or so and get that. LOL

thanks,

V

8. nwbusa macrumors regular

Meh... my 2009 metal is still perfect with no protective films, etc. I am pretty careful with it, but not obsessively so. I am careful not to wear my watch when I use the MBP though, so as not to scratch the palm rests.

9. vraev thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I did remember hearing from people that the armrests portions on the unibody macbooks can get a discoloration after a while. So unless I come home sweating from the gym and immediately using the MCpro for hours without washing hands, I should be fine right?

Also...any sleeves u recommend? I got a nice backpack (Targus one that I got with my Asus G73..looks sick), but I was thinking about getting a nice thin but good protective sleeve to store the macbook in. The incase ones in apple store were 50$. Any products u guys can suggest?

10. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Just buy a keyboard cover and a case that goes on the bottom and behind the screen... That's always worked for me! :cool:

11. vraev thread starter macrumors newbie

12. noripwr macrumors member

Not to make things sound gross but I thought I had scratches on the bottomside of my mbp until yesterday when I wiped the bottom with a damp cloth and the scratches mysteriously disappeared. I guess it was crusted up bacteria or snot. :D

13. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    This thread reminds me that my macbook is filthy. I should clean it.