Just got new MacBook Pro and it's having graphic artifacts during videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kadify, Feb 12, 2018.

1. kadify, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018

kadify macrumors regular

So I got a replacement MacBook Pro after my first one had keyboard issues within the first few days of using it. I'm curious, I believe all the settings are the same, but when I go to watch an old show on youtube I get artifacts whenever I go to full screen mode. Check out the video I made of it here:

I'm not sure what's up? The old MacBook Pro had 10.13.1 while this one has 10.13.2 could that be the issue? I know there is no way to go back so should I risk updating to 10.13.3?

----------------------------------
    UPDATE:

This is what I noticed (and some other oddities when logging in) when using safe mode. Is this normal for safe mode or do I have an issue?

UPDATE 2:

So..... I reset SMC, NVRAM, and reinstalled MACOS and it's still having the issue (in fact now it's running even slower than it was before and the fan randomly turns on at full speed:confused:)

Guess I get to figure out another return:(

2. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Have a link to the video and a time stamp of where the issue is in the video? I'll try it out and report back. I am on 10.13.3 if that matters.

3. Miltz macrumors 6502a

I've had a similar issue on certain sites. Seems to be a driver issue. Apple needs to get cracking on video drivers ASAP. Still waiting for H.265 10bit support they promised in Keynote.

4. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

It was right about 0:23ish in the video and the video link is
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    So is that something I can fix? It didn't happen in the other computer (I actually have both still so I could take a video of them playing the same video at the same time).

5. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

No issues on my machine. 2017 nTB i5 / 16 / 512 on 10.13.3

6. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I didn’t think so. The old computer had no issues either. I’ll upgrade and see if that fixes it

7. Miltz macrumors 6502a

No issue playing that video here. I've actually never had that issue on Youtube. I've seen it other other sites, especially in 4K.

8. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just updated to 10.13.3 and it got worse..... Guess I'm returning another MacBook =/

9. jerryk macrumors 68040

I tried it on a windows 10 system with GTX 1070 and there are no video visual artifacts, but there is a minor discontinuity around that time. Wingows 10, Chrome.

10. Miltz macrumors 6502a

11. kadify, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the video is super low quality but it isn't the only video I notice this on. It happens on every video if I play it at 480p... IDK why the setting would matter but it seems to matter.

Yes. Went through apple support so far. We reset cookies and everything for safari and no dice yet. Next step is to do a safe mode check.

12. Miltz macrumors 6502a

You could always do a back-up and then a clean install to see if it’s a software issue.

13. jerryk macrumors 68040

It only gave me 240p or lower as an option. I wonder if they are up scaling it to get 480 and that is causing the problem.

14. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like a lot of work for a brand new computer....

I'm not sure. But it happens on any video I choose to watch at lower than 720p. I feel like this must be some sort of software glitch? I am going to try booting in safe mode to see if it happens in that mode when I have a spare moment from work tomorrow.

15. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502

Off topic, but I LOVE Miss Swan! Haha

16. jerryk macrumors 68040

Try a different browser also. See how Chrome handles it.

17. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Me too!!!!

This is what I observed in safe mode... Kind of not even usable but I'm not sure if safe mode would normally do this or if this is an issue with my computer:

18. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

19. jerryk macrumors 68040

Looks like a scan/frame rate issue on an old tube TV when playing PAL on an NTSC device.

Yeah, I am that old.:)

20. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

I'm not sure if this specifically is normal, but accelerated graphics are disabled in Safe Mode, so graphic anomalies aren't unexpected.

21. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: Spoke with another senior tech advisor for apple. They're sending me another replacement, lol. I swear I'm going to open a Mac resell store by the end of this experience with all the computers I have just laying around.

22. danieleilertsen macrumors regular

danieleilertsen

I have swapped my macbook pro 2017 5 times. Allot of the problems i have exprinced also turn up on the new one - after some time.

Its software. not hardware.

23. Miltz macrumors 6502a

I'm curious what issues did you have that you needed 5 replacements.

24. kadify thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that's a lot! My issues haven't been software related though so here's to hoping the next computer is hardware problem free!

25. RealAlexBT macrumors newbie

RealAlexBT

Did the replacement suffer from the same issue? I also have this problem. They changed my main board and I keep having this problem. I don't get it since it's almost a new computer.

This problem in mine only happens sometimes and a reboot fixes it. Now I'm thinking it's software related, but I'm not sure.

Any help?

Thanks!