Just got new MBP, error in initial setup file transfer, what do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scariaga, Apr 10, 2008.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

So I got my new MBP and was setting up settings, applications, documents from my external HD via Time Machine. About an hour into the process my MBP fell a sleep. When I got to it I touched the track pad and there was an error stating that I need to double check my wires and continue or cancel transfer. I double checked things 20 times over and still no luck so I had to cancel the transfer. So after setting all my preferences up and finally getting to the desk top I see that i am missing lots of files and none of my personal settings seem to have carried over.

My question is, is it possible to redo this process? I don't really want to manually do all of this work. Would rather just redo the whole thing, is that possible?

2. hotdamn macrumors 6502

Applications -> Utilities -> Migration Assistant

or alternatively, you can just type migration into spotlight and off you go

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

ok great! gonna try that Thank you :D

4. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

I have a question though, will this process just replace items that were actually successful in the initial transfer? I'm trying to do this now but since like 80% of the transfer was successful in the initial setup I now don't have enough space on my MBP to be able to do this process again. I could delete some of the content that was successful, I'm just not sure about some of the duplication of files. Do those files stay on the MBP or will they be trashed? not sure if I'll be left with any HD space after this process is complete :confused:

5. hotdamn macrumors 6502

just to be safe, go to system preferences -> accounts and create a new one.
    log in with your newly created account, go back to sys prefs -> accounts and delete the old account and trash all it's files (there will be a dialogue to confirm this).

now run migration assistant. run it overnight and turn sleep mode off in the energy saving preferences.

oh, and good luck! ;)

6. Braulioe macrumors newbie

Last week a similar event happened to me while I was transferring data and settings from a SR MBP to a new Penryn MBP. For some reason the transfer process was interrupted. To be safe I wiped the HD clean on the new MPB, reinstalled the OS and then let Migration Assistant transfer everything. That might have been overkill, but it worked.

7. hotdamn macrumors 6502

that is definitely the textbook definition of overkill, nevertheless, I am glad it worked out for you.

8. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular