just got new old mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Epedamia, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Epedamia macrumors newbie

ok lemme explain a friend gave me a power mac g4 and i don't know what all it contains all i know is it has 10gig hdd and 128mb ram, also it came with panther, so i've been wanting a mac for a long time and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to upgrade this mac to be fast and functional with leopard. thanks in advance.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Depends on the model. You can still find PC 133 RAM for these fairly cheaply, and the hard drives tend to be limited to 120 g max, and they are parallel ATA.
    There are processor upgrades available too up to 1.8ghz G4 depending on the model.

But things are at the point now where it is no longer worth spending much on upgrading G4s. Maybe a stick of ram and a cheap HDD.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I've got ram for it if you need it. I think I have a whole bunch of 64mb chips, a whole bunch of 128mb chips and three 256mb chips. I think you have four ram slots.

I also have very unused 80gig hard drive at 7200 rpm speed that you can put in there which will also speed things up considerably. It has Tiger on it, 10.4 on it. Or you could stick with Panther 10.3. Let me know selling this stuff cheap.

I got this to up grade a Mac G4 Cube but I am now selling it.

I also have a flat 15" Apple Display (lucite) that I am selling cheap.

Just haven't put up the craigslist ad yet