Just got off the phone with apple about the reception issue.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bamafever09, Jun 29, 2010.

1. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

So i got my phone today from att and of course it has the issue ( not complaining ill deal haha cause its awesome) anyway called apple to see whats up and they told me there will be a update soon blah blah and until then i should put a piece of scotch tape over the antenna and they would fix it for now. Sure enough it did and it hasn't happened since. Just thought id pass this along for those who might wanna try it out.

2. satirev macrumors 6502

oh really? scotch tape? Ive never heard of that solution...

3. PCOM2013 macrumors newbie

Interesting....Scotch tape

Reading the scotch tape thing.......I thought to myself, I applied clear coat front/back/sides shortly after I bought the iPhone 4 and turned off 3G and have never had the reception issues since.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Are there even mods on this forum? Clearly there are because someone shut down my funny lunch thread. Can we like merge all of the threads like this?

5. PCOM2013 macrumors newbie

Perhaps my clear coat skin acts as an insulator preventing bridging between the GSM antenna and the other antennae, like a bumper does. Just a thought. Not a physicist, just a lay person observation. Anyone else with Zagg, Clear Coat, etc care to share experiences.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

doesnt this kind of prove its software, if scotch tape fixes it obviously ur still covering the antenna, so glad its software

7. satirev macrumors 6502

*face palm*

8. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Maybe if you are using metal scotch tape or something. Because scotch tape is not going the bridge the gap.

I don't see why apple can't apply some kInd of coating to the antenna to stop this. Can't be that expensive.

9. Zepol macrumors newbie

I applied the invisible shield on my phone. For those who have bought it, you can use the strips that are left over, after you have cut out the front and back shield, and apply the thin strips around the phone. I haven't had any issues since.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I use duct tape myself.

Also makes my phone look cool.

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im not an engineer but im pretty sure the guy said the tape fixed the issue, what it sounds like is skin does something with the antenna and frequencies and the tape blocks the skin so nothing happens

13. levpa05 macrumors member

I have two cases, I can't remember the name of one but it's rubber and covers the sides and back of the phone, the other is the griffin reveal. With either case I loose signal when I hold the iPhone. Lay it down the signal goes back up to full.

14. satirev macrumors 6502

hence justifying my face palm reply to the guy who said that the tape proved it was just a software issue...

15. PCOM2013 macrumors newbie

Does Invisible Shield not have side panel protection as part of the full body package? Never used that product for iPhone, only used it for iPad. I think we may have a temporary fix without using a bumper if it does work across all skin manufacturers. Keep posting your experiences with various products so we all can benefit. I think this device is exceptional, and I hope everyone can get a fix to their problems.

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

my bad, thought u facepalmed me bc the posts were right after one another

17. levpa05 macrumors member

Ya, who better to q/a this issue but the 1.7 million people that purchased the iPhone which claims to have better signal reception than the 3GS?

18. satirev macrumors 6502

you were the one that said the tape proves its a software issue, i did facepalm you..lol

19. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

**** i meant hardware not software, my bad for the second time lol facepalm to self hahaha

20. satirev macrumors 6502

i would agree with you that it is for sure hardware. in fact i think if it was software apple would have had a fix for this already. i think apple is just going to ignore the issue until people stop complaining because they know they cant fix it. this would explain the terrible emails from steve jobs of, youre holding it wrong, and, stay tuned.

21. bova80 macrumors 6502a

i put 2 layers of electrical tape on mine and it didn't do a damn thing...oh well i'll wait for the update.

22. bfh123 macrumors regular

Were you at the store in hoover this morning? I was there!