Just Got Office 2008 and have Some ?s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlee, Apr 7, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Finally got my Office: Mac 2008 Home and Student Edition from the Super Suite Deal and Have a couple questions before I install. Thanks for help with any.

1. Should I uninstall 2004 first?
    2. What is Expression Media and is it any good?
    3. Any other thing I should know?

Thanks All.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

1. The instructions and/or installer tell you to do this.

2. I don't know. I never tried it.

3. Office 2008 requires more horsepower from your computer. I was sorry I installed it on an older Mac, because it turned Office so sluggish. If yours is a recent model Mac, you won't notice that was much. Also, use Help -> Check for Updates after you install it.

3. Saliwa macrumors member

I would unsintall 2004 first, but "normally" you "should" be fine. Backup before you do anything, just in case :p

4. dsayed macrumors newbie

@benlee - I work for Microsoft in Expression marketing. Expression Media is used to manage digital assets such as documents, presentations, spreadsheets, clip-art, fonts, images, videos, sounds, etc - most files that you would typically work with. It is designed to catalog, organize and let you find them. Expression Media used to be called iView MediaPro, which we acquired in 2006, and is widely used on both Mac and Windows.
    The reason that it is part of Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition is that we believe that there are many Office users who are creative professionals and have the need to quickly and easily import, organize, search, annotate, repurpose and archive digital files.
    MacWorld recently reviewed Expression Media 1, and you can read their review here: http://www.macworld.com/article/132250/2008/02/expressionmedia.html?t=230

Version 2 of Expression Media will be out soon and as an Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition customer, you will be able to obtain this new version for free by downloading it from us after June 1st.

Regards,

David.

5. darthmullet macrumors member

if you are on an intel mac, there will be a marked performance increase vs 2004. also be sure to install the updates.