Just got our first Mac need software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dread, Apr 6, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    My wife and I have been using iPhones and iPads since they first came out but we never have had a Mac before. Thanks to this forum I bought a 13 inch MacBook pro for my wife for $999 by getting best buy to match microcenter's pricing. Anyway, what is the must have software for the Mac. We will probably get Microsoft office and my wife is a big photoshop user and needs adobe writer. Are there any cheaper alternatives that you guys can recommend? What other software or apps are must haves? Thanks for the input.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There are cheaper alternatives such as pixelmator that are really great alternativs to PS.

3. simsaladimbamba, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

simsaladimbamba

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. Do we need antivirus software?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not to protect your Mac. There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

6. MacCrackAddict, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

MacCrackAddict macrumors member

no you do not need anti-virus for a mac, as many users will tell you :) i have never had a virus in 3 years. if you would feel safer check out 'sophos' anti-virus it's prob the best free one i have tried and is reputable :)

as for a photoshop alternative, GNU 'Gimp" (google it) is a fantastic alternative. it's what i used until i upgraded to PS about 6 months ago.

iWork (Apple's 'office' suite) is fantastic for word processing and even saves as a word document if you need it to be compatible with PCs

also, check out the mac App Store for any interesting add-ons for your new mac, there are loads of good free ones and even better paid ones

congrats on the mac mate

7. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Instead of Microsoft Office you should get iWork ($80 and is much better) and instead of Photoshop get Pixelmator ($60)
    Also get:
    AppCleaner (free) completely removes applications [should you ever need to]
    The Unarchiver or Unrarx (free) for extracting rar files
    Carbon Copy Cloner (free) great backup app
    VLC Media Player (free) plays almost any format media files

Enjoy your Mac!

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

iWork hasn't been updated since 09? I would get office
    I would also stay away from App Cleaner. Apps that claim to delete unnecessary or unwanted files, tend to delete too much which causes problems.

10. iMackPro macrumors 6502

ABSOLUTE MUST HAVES:
    VLC - plays anything you throw at it
    Flip4Mav - plays internet plugins
    Adobe Reader- Im sure you know what this is
    WMV Player - just incase you dont use Flip4Mac
    Stuffit Expander - Expands zip files, very useful
    Stuffit Deluxe - Compresses them, also expands.. this one costs money (im sure you can find it somewhere where it wont:D)
    Office 11 - Basics excel word now includes outlook, id suggest iLife although some just wont let go of windows processing just because they used it for so long
    uTorrent - Manages torrents you downloaded, LEGEAL ! =-)
    Frostwire - download shared music, legally!!
    Facebox - another cool tweak check it out in appstore, only if you use facebook.
    Set up time machine - back up files and what not
    Aperture 3 - not necisasrly a must have but very handy, and fun to play with!

This should set you up for complete success on your jouney to fully enjoying the beautiful creation of your Mac computer, enjoy!

-iMack.

11. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Now, don't let these people lead you to believe you'll NEVER need protection software. Macs are getting more and more popular, which means the risk of somebody writing and sending a piece of malicious code into the wild are more and more likely.

That said, PCTools has a great antivirus for Mac just in case.

And best of all, it's free.

http://www.iantivirus.com/

If you really want to get into the Mac way of doing things, I recommend iWork 09 as its a real pleasure to use, unless of course, you're completely dependent on MSOffice for everything. If you just need to make a spreadsheet here and there and type up some reports, its great.

Beyond that, for web browsing I'd recommend Chrome over Safari. Really anything over Safari. If you need some Windows software, check out Parallels (or Qemu if you're running low on cash). It allows for the nearly transparent running of Windows software on your Mac. Or, you can always go for the full Windows experience as well. It's very good software.

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Sophos for Anti-Virus, Handbrake is a good one, Twitter is also nice.

13. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Heres a list of some everyday apps I use:

VLC - Media player
    PLEX - media player/ media server
    GOOGLE CHROME - My fave web browser
    SPARROW - Awesome email client
    MS OFFICE.
    SOUNDCLOUD - great for free music
    VUZE - torrents
    REEDER - Brilliant rss reader, in beta, you may have seen it on ipad/iphone.
    SMC FAN CONTROL - help to control your macs fan speed.
    HOTSPOT SHIELD - Proxy
    APP ZAPPER - software removal

14. simsaladimbamba

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

The Mac OS X Malware Myth Continues

15. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow thanks for all the suggestions. I would go with iWork but my wife and I are both heavy office users. I can't wait to start trying these apps.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check out the post by simsaladimbamba, 2 posts before this one.

17. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I take it there is no easy way to remove software on a mac like there is on a PC. I will definately look into those programs.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can easily remove most apps on a Mac simply by dragging the app to the trash. However, that leaves behind .plist (user preference) files, caches, logs and some other files related to the app, but not the executable part. Part of the thinking there is, if you decide at a later time to reinstall the app, you won't have to reset all your preferences. In the vast majority of cases, those files only take up some space on your hard drive and won't affect performance. They are far less troublesome than left-over registry entries in Windows, for example. The manual method of app deletion is for fully deleting all files related to the app; not just the app itself.

19. PatrickCocoa, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Holy Cow

I have both iWorks and Pixelmator. I have been a Mac owner since 1985 (yes, 1985). Neither iWorks nor Pixelmator is a suitable replacement for Microsoft Office nor Photoshop in many cases.

The cases where iWorks and Pixelmator are not suitable are:
    1. You need 100% compatibility with others who use those programs, and cannot afford to spend time and credibility with them to fix any problems;
    2. You need certain capabilities in Office or Photoshop that are not in iWorks or Pixelmator. This doesn't mean iWorks and Pixelmator are bad programs, just that Office and Photshop have a different set of capabilities.
    3. You're used to how Office and Photoshop work, and don't want to learn a slightly different way to do things.

As to the other suggestions:
    1. I've never bothered with the minor detritus that apps leave after you delete them. What's the harm?
    2. I don't know what a rar file is, so apparently I don't need Unarchiver. If you do need it, go ahead and get it.
    3. Use Time Machine for backups - buy a 2 TB USB hard drive, plug it in the Mac, and the Mac will ask if you want to use it for Time Machine. Say yes. Anything else is obsessive-compulsive overkill.

20. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Ah brilliant ive learnt something new, finder all the way now. Just shows you dont need fancy programs when osx can actually do it for you. And better!!

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A .rar file is a compressed file, like a .zip file.

22. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "easy"? There are several different ways one must remove apps from Windows. Not all can be removed from the Contol Panel's Add or Remove Programs. Then, you'll probably still have cruft left over in the Registry, although some programs are really nice and have an uninstaller included with the app itself, although sometimes you still have to check Program Files to ensure that everything really was deleted.

The way that GGJstudios showed is a great way to find both the app bundle itself (the app is actually a folder with most of the app's files) and any other files the app placed throughout your system. This is probably exactly what the other app removal apps are doing anyway. Once you get used to this process, you'll find it remarkably easier that the Windows alternative methods for removing apps.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Except they don't. Most of those removal apps will delete the .plist files and a few others, but leave stuff behind. In most cases, the files left behind take up more space than the files they remove. Again, it's not harmful to leave those things behind, unless you're running out of disk space. If you want it all clean, only the manual method gets it all.

24. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Don't use iwork if everyone else you know is using Microsoft Office unless you enjoy having all your documents having thousands of formatting errors each time you switch between the two