Just got Panasonic PV-GS320

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Liebo11, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Liebo11 macrumors member

Hi guys I just picked up a Panasonic PV-GS320 on sale at CircuitCity for $369. At the store it still says its $499 but they just look on the website and see its $369 and give that price. The camera is 3ccd and got great review so I hope i like it!

Wish me luck,

Jeremy

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I bought a Panasonic 3CCD camcorder back in March and I love it. I can't remember the model number. Good picture and really easy to use.

3. techie4life macrumors 6502

I love my PV-GS320!!! It's picture quality is wonderful, and the digital stills it takes aren't half-bad either. Happy filming!

4. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

hey tech4life or anyone else who has the 320 . . . obviously with my macbook i can't load that windows cd rom with the two apps on it for usb and the video editing software so does the usb still work to transfer video and should i edit with final cut studio? thanks guys

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you will need to use firewire to transfer the video. and before spending the money on final cut make sure you have tried iMovie, it may be all you need and it came with your mac.

6. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

so whats the USB for? just photos or video with windows?

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that the USB is just for still pictures.

8. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

I picked one up yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The 320 can transfer video USB, but only their program supports it and it could end up dropping a lot of frames if you have other usb devices plugged in.

10. techie4life macrumors 6502

If you want to use iMovie to edit you footage, I would recommend downloading iMovie HD, which is now free, for the editing work. iMovie '08 has some serious quality issues. For some reason, Final Cut Express does not like the stuff I import using it, the video always comes up as 4:3 when I try to burn a DVD. I just have to import using iMovie, then use it in FCE, no big deal to me. Are you enjoying it so far?

11. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I have one, too, but it didn't come with a firewire cable.:(

12. BJano macrumors newbie

Firewire to...?

Hi, I also have the Panasonic pv-gs320, which I bought because I read online about it's compatibility with mac. I have a 2007 Macbook. I ordered what I thought would be the right firewire cable: firewire iLink DV Cable 6Pin-4Pin. I don't think the DV end is what I need. Can anyone clarify which sort of firewire cable one needs?

Thanks!

Bill

13. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Slightly off topic, but this is because of the setup of FCE. Before you start your next project in FCE, go to Final Cut Express>Easy Setup and change your setting to something like NTSC Anamorphic (I am not on my Mac at the moment, but this should get you there) and you will be able to capture true widescreen in FCE. This will not affect any previous projects, but will affect all projects going forward.

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This is the correct cable. I don't have a 320, but I have a 250 and I plug the 4 pin connector into the camera into a jack that is covered when the LCD is closed. Open your LCD and look for the 4 pin firewire jack.

15. BJano macrumors newbie

thanks

Ah, yes. I was just figuring this out and logging back on to correct and answer my own question. To be precise, the input is actually under the battery, which means cam must be plugged into AC, a minor design flaw, IMO.

Thanks!

b