Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Just wanted to share this awesome news with all of you.

7407720080816_2220.png

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Nice. I guess this is in response to the idiots who "accidentally" bought "I Am Rich"?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
it says its a one time exception meaning its not the norm so im missing the point of this post apparently

The point of this is to inform us that Apple is refunding customers for accidental purchase one time and one time only. It has the same point as all the rumor posts. For us to discuss.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
in no way is it implying everyone get a "one time exception"

sounds more like a nice csr rather than official policy

yeah, i doubt it's official policy however, i'm sure if you "abuse" this, they will certainly drop the hammer on you. me, personally, i would have let an accidental purchase of a .99 cent app go, so that if i accidentally bought a 9.99 app, i wouldn't be given any push back.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Are you serious?

It's absolutely mind boggling that someone would call Apple and ask for a refund for $0.99. Are you kidding me? No, Apple should not reverse purchases made accidentally. How do you accidentally buy something? That's like accidentally making someone pregnant. Every time I hear it I have to wonder about it.

If you aren't responsible enough to use one click purchasing, turn it off. I've been using it, and I've never clicked on buy it accidentally.

And then, secondarily, to make a post bragging about it. I personally want to call Apple and ask them not to refund these purchases.

I want Apple to succeed. For every time someone contacts Apple, it wastes their time for what, $0.99? Unbelievable.

And those clowns that bought the "I am rich" app? Too bad, don't click on it.

"Oops, I accidentally robbed that bank, please forgive me" :rolleyes:

We are :apple: users, and are supposed to be the cream of the crop. I guess this is what happens as :apple:'s market share grows. Sad.

Please do us all a favor and buy an Instinct and an E-Machines and leave the :apple: userbase.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Are you serious?

It's absolutely mind boggling that someone would call Apple and ask for a refund for $0.99. Are you kidding me? No, Apple should not reverse purchases made accidentally. How do you accidentally buy something? That's like accidentally making someone pregnant. Every time I hear it I have to wonder about it.

If you aren't responsible enough to use one click purchasing, turn it off. I've been using it, and I've never clicked on buy it accidentally.

And then, secondarily, to make a post bragging about it. I personally want to call Apple and ask them not to refund these purchases.

I want Apple to succeed. For every time someone contacts Apple, it wastes their time for what, $0.99? Unbelievable.

And those clowns that bought the "I am rich" app? Too bad, don't click on it.

"Oops, I accidentally robbed that bank, please forgive me" :rolleyes:

We are :apple: users, and are supposed to be the cream of the crop. I guess this is what happens as :apple:'s market share grows. Sad.

Please do us all a favor and buy an Instinct and an E-Machines and leave the :apple: userbase.
Relax, kiddo! I requested a refund not because I accidentally bought the app, but because I find it unfair to charge 99 cents for it and then shortly after the launch make it free and then have it removed from the app store completely. Plus, it's not your money. It's mine. So, please, do me a huge favour, ****. ;)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For some reason, shopping carts don't work with the app store. I have shopping cart turned on -- I've checked repeatedly that it is turned on. Yet every time I purchase an app, it doesn't go into the shopping cart. At most, I get a confirmation dialogue asking me if I really want to buy the app, but sometimes I don't even get that.

I think this is confirmation that Apple intends the shopping carts to work in the App Store as with the other iTunes purchases, and we need to write them and let them know that the shopping cart isn't working.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
How do you accidentally buy something? That's like accidentally making someone pregnant. Every time I hear it I have to wonder about it.

I accidentally bought flickbook when I meant to buy flipbook, I got my refund.

They were similarly named, but very different products. (one sucks and one is really good)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

That is sad and pathetic. You're the reason people don't like Mac users, and you're the reason why I'm pro-abortion/pro-choice.

Your attitude doesn't epitomize the smart, creative, well-regarded, ideal Mac user. In fact, you are the disgrace. You're a disgrace to almost every sensible person who uses a Mac, and you give all Mac users a bad name. You're the "Leave Britney Alone!" of the Mac world.

The only virus Apple suffers from are ones like you. Do us all a favour and buy an Instinct and an E-Machine, and leave the :apple: userbase. Then drop some uranium into your pants so that you can't procreate.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Relax, kiddo! I requested a refund not because I accidentally bought the app, but because I find it unfair to charge 99 cents for it and then shortly after the launch make it free and then have it removed from the app store completely. Plus, it's not your money. It's mine. So, please, do me a huge favour, ****. ;)

Oh, well next time please explain that in the original post....kiddo :)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
For some reason, shopping carts don't work with the app store. I have shopping cart turned on -- I've checked repeatedly that it is turned on. Yet every time I purchase an app, it doesn't go into the shopping cart. At most, I get a confirmation dialogue asking me if I really want to buy the app, but sometimes I don't even get that.

I think this is confirmation that Apple intends the shopping carts to work in the App Store as with the other iTunes purchases, and we need to write them and let them know that the shopping cart isn't working.
Yeah, shopping carts have never worked for me in the App Store. Depending on circumstances, I MAY get a request for my password (often on my iPhone, never on my home computer), but usually the app just starts downloading with no delay.

I've never accidentally purchased anything, but I can see how it could happen. Theoretically.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've found that iTunes "policies" depend on who you get. I once bought a mis-labelled album and got my NZ$17.99 refunded. Then yesterday I reported an issue where a song was damaged and got a rude person who said "we don't do refunds, ever" and left me hanging. I replied, explaining that I hadn't asked for a refund and was just reporting the problem, and got a different person who gave me 2 song credits.

So, while there is a printed policy, it does seem to vary depending on the person at the other end.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008

Wait a second, you lied to Apple claiming you had accidentally purchased the App, solely because you find it unfair to pay the price the app was marked at when you chose to buy it???! Now that's just wrong, and definitely abusing the system.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Wait a second, you lied to Apple claiming you had accidentally purchased the App, solely because you find it unfair to pay the price the app was marked at when you chose to buy it???! Now that's just wrong, and definitely abusing the system.
No, I didn't lie, don't you worry. My original message to Apple was exactly what you quoted. It's just that Inadvertent Purchase is the most appropriate option to choose from when reporting such cases. :rolleyes:

PS
Sorry, I should have included all of the above in the original post.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Just wanted to share this awesome news with all of you.

7407720080816_2220.png

Wow.

Way to blow your one time exception on a .99 app.

I kid I kid.

But it will suck when you accidently buy a $40 app and they don't refund it because they told you so. :)

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Yeah, this is the policy they have for music as well. It seems as if when responding to these inadvertent purchases they simply check if you've filed one before and if you have then they have to consider whether they should give it to you. Otherwise they refund you. While it isn't a respectful thing to do, you could technically buy an expensive app and get the refund on it. So i wouldn't have asked for the refund on the .99 cent app, would have waited for something else that was more cost heavy that really pissed me off for not performing well.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
I'm just surprised you went to the trouble of writing an email over a dollar. I mean it probably cost you more (in opportunity cost) to write the email than you got bacy. I'd most likely look at it as "meh, I lost some change in the couch".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.