Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chokem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
OK. I just upgraded my jailbroken 4S to 5.1.1 to get rid of the jailbreak to make a clean install of iOS6. My question is-how do I upgrade to iOS6 and not lose my apps and music that are backed up to iTunes with my previous iOS5 backup?

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
OK. I just upgraded my jailbroken 4S to 5.1.1 to get rid of the jailbreak to make a clean install of iOS6. My question is-how do I upgrade to iOS6 and not lose my apps and music that are backed up to iTunes with my previous iOS5 backup?

Restore, then sync w/ iTunes. AFAIK, iOS6 has only been released to developers, though...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm in on this IOS 6 Beta program.
I've paid via Paypal and followed the instructions.

So far waiting for the key or whatever it is they send.
It's been 30 minutes without a response but I image it may take awhile being a Friday night.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm content waiting to use iOS 6 until everything is actually fully functional. Using it as beta just seems to ruin the glamour of it all.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My developer friend activated my UDID and i'm running iOS 6 now. When the next beta comes out, how do we go about upgrading? Upgrading over the current beta, or do we have to DFU, restore to iOS 5.1.1, then install beta 2?

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Signed up for the iOS 6 beta as well. Hopefully I'll receive the activation email tomorrow morning and upgrade. I'm sick of 5.1.1 (even w/ JB) and iOS 6 looks amazing! Can't wait!!!

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
Can you back up files that were downloaded when jail broken (free games that usually cost money) and restore the phone through the back up when installing iOS 6 when it officially comes out? Because I'll lose my jailbreak when I upload to ios 6 which I'm cool with. Hope that all makes sense..

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
What puts me off about Beta is having to update to the new beta stages within time frames or issues can occur, i believe.

Im sure the beta testers are well used to this now !

I appreciate what the beta testers do to allow us in the wings a nice new shiny iOS !

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
People running a beta iOS who don't even know how to upgrade? Next thing you know they will be posting in the iOS6 forum complaining how something doesn't work.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
People running a beta iOS who don't even know how to upgrade? Next thing you know they will be posting in the iOS6 forum complaining how something doesn't work.

We all gotta learn from somewhere dude.

Ive read most beta testers have a dedicated phone for testing in order not to mess up their primary iPhone.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Signed up for the iOS 6 beta as well. Hopefully I'll receive the activation email tomorrow morning and upgrade. I'm sick of 5.1.1 (even w/ JB) and iOS 6 looks amazing! Can't wait!!!

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you sick of in 5.1.1 that 6 will be adding? This isn't exactly a grime changing upgrade.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006

Can't wait for stuff not to work?

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Never would have expected that :eek:

Gave iOS 6 Beta a 'test drive' and went back to 5.1.1 JB. Maybe it's just me but I'm extremely bored with iOS (even w/ JB). Sometimes I do miss my Android. Oh well.

----------

Can't wait for stuff not to work?

All of my apps worked perfectly expect for some sound issues with Doodle Jump. :D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Gave iOS 6 Beta a 'test drive' and went back to 5.1.1 JB. Maybe it's just me but I'm extremely bored with iOS (even w/ JB). Sometimes I do miss my Android. Oh well.

----------

All of my apps worked perfectly expect for some sound issues with Doodle Jump. :D

No it's not just you. I've been contemplating getting an Android phone too. iOS6 was very underwhelming. I can't afford it though since I'll be getting a maxed out 11" MBA this week :p

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
No it's not just you. I've been contemplating getting an Android phone too. iOS6 was very underwhelming. I can't afford it though since I'll be getting a maxed out 11" MBA this week :p

Sweet. My 'old man' is getting one next week as well (not sure if he's going for the 11' or the 13'). Picked up the new iPad myself yesterday, but not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not.

Unless the upcoming new iPhone is really a "huge" step up from the 4S, I don't see myself getting another iPhone once my current contract concludes. Seriously considering going back to Android. Seems like there's more "freedom" with Android than w/ iOS.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Sweet. My 'old man' is getting one next week as well (not sure if he's going for the 11' or the 13'). Picked up the new iPad myself yesterday, but not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not.

Unless the upcoming new iPhone is really a "huge" step up from the 4S, I don't see myself getting another iPhone once my current contract concludes. Seriously considering going back to Android. Seems like there's more "freedom" with Android than w/ iOS.

Yeah I feel the same way about the new iPhone. I'm not really concerned about freedom. I'm just bored :p

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
My approval email arrived and after a hit-and-miss with a few attempts of adding 6.0 (1600 error along with error 21) I went back to 5.1.1 after a few hours.
SIRI is lacking and messaging is poor. I'm sure the beta is cut out for many people but I take for granted my iPhone just simply works and don't like the in-between stages of working/not working.

I could complain I wasted a few dollars and lots of time but sort of an adventure, I guess (although one I hope to never repeat), but it was my own fault for wanting the "latest greatest" right now without really putting the thought into what that means and the downside to it all.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
When I get bored with my iPhone I just change my wallpaper then watch a good movie, read a good book, or do something radically different at work (I have a job based on being creative). Then my iPhone iOS becomes a small blip in what is important to me so long as it allows me to satisfy my urge to see hear and create stimulating material. I read on the kindle app, I read reviews and news and watch trailers of upcoming films and check show times, and I use the calendar and email apps among others to aid me in my work day. Really, its just a means to an end.

I say to those of you who say they are bored of an iOS:

YOU SHOULD BE.

Your phone OS should be one of the most boring aspect of your life otherwise maybe it's not new iOS versions or platforms you should be examining....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.