Just got rMBP 15'' with LG Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfgbg, Jul 30, 2013.

1. asdfgbg, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Hey Guys,
    i just received my new rmb 15 inch. I checked the screen and it's a LG SJA-2 Display.
    It doesn't have image retention, at least until now and the display is really amazing:)
    Do you have any IR on your SJA-2 ? I don't know if i should return it just because its LG panel:confused:

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I dont have any IR on my SJA-1 display. If the problem isnt there, I wouldnt worry about it.

3. asdfgbg thread starter macrumors regular

asdfgbg

since when you have your rmb ? :)

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. RedllowFenix macrumors newbie

How I check my screen?

6. asdfgbg thread starter macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Go to Terminal and enter
    ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LP = LG

LSN=Samsung

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

A few months now, and bought it used. It original purchase was Nov 2012. Dont know why it happens to some buy not all. But as long as youre within warranty, no need to worry about bringing it back unless you have the IR problem, they will just replace the screen.

8. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

I also has SJA1 screen on my rmbp 15"
    No IR yet. I bought it as used one.
    The seller bought it from apple on Feb 2013.

9. asdfgbg thread starter macrumors regular

asdfgbg

I heared that the problem appears after a while or is it there from the first day ? Because i could give it back to amazon the next 13 days...

10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

If you do have IR right now then ask for a replacement, if you do not then just enjoy the gorgeous screen.
    If it might turn up in future warranty will solve it. Just don't be bothered with posts about issues, it kinda puts an expectation in your mind.

11. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Most here have reported no problems. Some of the 2012 SA1 Builds needed 6 months for IR to start showing up, others a couple weeks, most don't IR at all. It seems to get worse not better once it starts.

My March 2013 build has the SA2 screen, its been perfect so far.

12. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

This topic has been covered often. For the most part, most users do not start off with any image retention, but rather they develop it within the first 4-12 months. I had the issue develop slowly but surely, getting worse and worse over time until the point that I brought it into the Apple Store and it was blatantly obvious. I was well within warranty at the point (I think I might've had it for around 6 months at that point) and it was repaired within a few days b/c they didn't have any Samsung panels on hand at the time.

As for the SJA-2 panels, they are supposed to solve the issue (due to a lamination manufacturing error) in most cases, but a very small number will be affected by IR compared to the LG SJA-1 panels. I'd say if you have the SJA-2 model, you most likely won't have to worry about this issue.

Overall, if you have a Samsung panel, you're good and you don't have to worry about anything (except for rare cases, of course). If you have an SJA-1 panel, keep an eye on it and make sure you do one of the many IR tests online before your warranty expires (if you don't have Applecare) so you won't have to pay a very expensive $600-700 panel replacement fee for the IR issue a few months outside of the warranty period. FYI, Apple uses the 'checkerboard' IR test, using white and black only, to test IR issues in the store. As I said above, I'd say most won't have issues with the SJA-2 panel either, but you might just keep an eye on it. Don't be frustrated if you do eventually have the issue b/c if it develops, you will receive a brand new Samsung panel. That is what happened to me and now my laptop is perfect.