Just got SDK = Wonderful

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by allbrokeup, Mar 6, 2008.

1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

The SDK for iPhone and iPod touch which I received today is wonderful. All applications that have been created are very stable and take advantage of all that the hardware has to offer. I will post more on the SDK as I investigate it further.

allbrokeup

2. allbrokeup thread starter macrumors 6502

just tried to create my first app with the SDK and i am disappointed to learn that FW 2.0 is required to upload apps to the iPod and iPhone from Xcode. Even more disappointed with the fact that Apple are charging iPod users for the next update. Well to better things, my application is incredibly stable in Aspen and runs perfectly.

P.S. It also seems that a scaled back edition of the iPhone OS X runs in Aspen and probably demonstrates what will occur whenever we install applications from the App Store, e.g. Having them open Automatically.

Overall the SDK is very good for a BETA and the Organizer is a very clever idea for App management on the Devices. :D

Post your opinions on the new update and the fact that Touch users have to pay up again.

allbrokeup

3. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

yeah I'm not to happy abut the software update price to be coming.. hopefully it wont be too expensive. I can handle around $20ish like last time.

Anyways from what I understood by watching the apple presentation is that you can indeed get the 2.0 firmware for both the ipod touch and iphone however to get access to that beta firmware you have to pay at least $99 to apply to the developer program.. I would have been willing to join the program to get the benefits of the software and play around with developing my own(my coding skills arent great) but at $99 i think its not worth it. If it were about half that i would have considered it just to get the firmware early. Also knowing :apple: after the firmware went public I would then have to buy the official firmware build later on too.

I'm hoping that the beta firmware will leak out onto the torrent sites, etc :D

4. Darkjenso macrumors regular

aaah, right you need TW 2.0, i was tring to upload to a 1.1.3 jb so i thought that when it didnt work, that it must have been because it was jb'ed or that i needed 1.1.4

ah welly thats a shame,

5. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

Also, if we pay for firmware 2.0, will the January Update be included since many apps will require mail, maps, and the like?

6. jbarr macrumors regular

Can anyone clarify one thing:

Does the target iPhone or iPod touch require v2.0 of the firmware to run the SDK-developed application? I'm don't mean connecting through the SDK, I'm referring to copying an SDK-developed application using whatever method you would normally use to copy an application to a Jailbroken device. Can you do so, and if so, will it execute? I suspect it won't execute, because there are likely required libraries on v2.0 of the firmware.

7. jbarr macrumors regular

For those of you who have the SDK, do you have the opportunity to get the v2.0 firmware, or is that reserved currently for Enterprise-level developers?

Also, what does it require to run the SDK? I presume it's currently Mac-only. I have a completely Windows XP environment at home, and I would like to play around with iPhone/iPod Touch development, so obviously, I would need to get some sort of Mac. If I wanted to do full SDK development, would I need anything more robust than the lowest-end MacBook? And for those of us who are Mac-illiterate, will a Mac that is suitable for SDK development integrate well on a Windows network--specifically, file sharing and printing?

8. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

For your first post, you will need 2.0 to use apps. For your second post, a low level MacBook is all you need. It will also work fine on your XP network.

9. jbarr macrumors regular

Chris, thanks! But dang...now I really have to seriously think about getting a MacBook!

10. allbrokeup thread starter macrumors 6502

No, the apps don't execute. At all for that matter. They stay open for about 2 seconds before closing to the springboard. I even ported the headers and plists to an Unofficial SDK Build which wound up the same result. The SDK is available to all for free. The Firmware 2.0 bundle with the SDK costs $99 (includes Xcode, iPhone SDK, Utilities, Updates etc..).

Hope this clarifies things.

P.S. I have just created a slick theme for iPhone and iPod Touch. I named it iTheme (the name still needs work :D). Its based on Louie Mantia (Black) and my own design. I will upload it soon.

UPDATE 1: I have included some more wallpapers with the theme. Just rename them. I discovered that the design suits multiple springboard backgrounds.

UPDATE 2: I have included another colour variation of the theme. Green. It is based on Mystiques Icons and my own design.

Meanwhile, I have included a screenshot of the theme below...

snap_190859.jpg

allbrokeup.