Just got Snow Leopard-ized

Discussion in 'macOS' started by js81, Sep 21, 2009.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hey all:
    So I got my Snow Leopard family pack today… here are some observations from my Macs and my Hack becoming Snow Leopard-ized. :)

1) It’s definitely quicker. Boot time is a couple seconds less, especially noticeable on my iMac. Shutdown is WAY QUICKER. Most programs at least seem to load faster.
    2) It’s stable (so far). I’ve had no issues with stability AT ALL.
    3) It’s (mostly) compatible. The only issues I had were that I had to download a newer version of Winclone and my old, old Toast 6 no longer works.
    4) It’s got a few quirks. Safari didn’t lose my history, but it did lose my Top Sites. I had a strange font issue when I first booted my iMac (everything was screwy, but now its OK), and it wasn’t going to sleep correctly. A reboot and 10.6.1 fixed these. Other than the (minor) Safari issue, my Macbook upgrade was smooth as silk. Oh, and I have a strange bluetooth keyboard quirk. My iMac will NOT register me pressing "option" during boot to load Windows (it worked before). I have to choose the Windows partition from Startup Disk in System Prefs. Weird, I know... (works perfectly on the Macbook, haven't tried a wired keyboard on the iMac yet.)
    5) It’s Hack-worthy. This is my first Hackintosh install – works great on my HP Mini. It is SLOW AS MUD, though. Anybody else done Snow Leopard on a netbook? DO I need to upgrade to 2GB of RAM to really help it?
    6) It was well worth the $49 family pack price! I love scrolling in Stacks, and I love gaining "free" drive space!

I know this isn’t terribly unique or insightful, but I thought I’d let some of you fence-riders know how the upgrade went on some lower-end Mac (and un-Mac) hardware. Feel free to question/comment. So far, so good!

2. radesousa macrumors member

I wish I was as lucky as you! I also switched to Snow Leopard and it knock out my Airport Express wireless connection from my MacBook Pro. I'm having a difficult time trying to re-acquire my wireless connection but so far I've been unsuccessful... :( Can anyone help???

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Have you tried checking your security settings? (WEP, WPA, etc. passwords) I know that sounds basic, but if its something you haven't had to check in a while, it may've slipped your mind. :)