Just got Swindled. Chargeback or Wait for Dispute?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theturtle, Aug 28, 2011.

1. theturtle, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

theturtle macrumors 6502a

To you selling pros, i need some help.

i just bought a 20 dollars itunes gift card from this forum. The deal was 20 for 14. Me and the seller exchanged emails (about 9 each way) within 10 minutes. So the replies were coming instantly. We agreed to a price and i paid. I paid using my bank account via paypal instead of my credit card cause paypal "recommended" against it. after paying, he sent me a code. when i tried to redeem it, it said that it was alreayd redeemed so in other words he gave me a used code.

now, my question is what should i do? i already opened a dispute again him. should i escalate the dispute to a claim the first chance i get? I read from a site that escalating is a bad idea because paypal is pretty crooked and makes wrong decisions at times. or should i do a chargeback? or is that even possible when i paid with a bank account?

thanks

edit.
    made a mistake. hes NOT a member here. found him on powerbot.org

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First what did the seller tell you when you contacted them about issue using the code?

Since you had emial communication working so well, did it just stop once you paid?

Might been a simple case of an incorrectly typed code.

Dave

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Tell him he sent you a bad number. Maybe it was just a mistake. There is a good chance it was stolen anyway. :(

He'll probably just send another. If not file a dispute with Paypal and post his personal info here. Maybe someone can help. Chalk it up to experience. :mad:

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

no answer once i paid.

communications stopped once he sent the code so when i told him that it wasn't working he never replied.

i do want to give him the benefit of the doubt but it can't be a coincidence that he replies instantly leading up the payment and once he sends it, all communication is stopped.

----------

already told him :eek:

yeah already opened a dispute. trying to figure out if escalating it to a claim is the smart decision when i become eligible for it.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

He was a member here a couple of days ago. His spam bot got him banned. :mad:

He was pushing his football forum. Forgot his website. Wouldn't be hard to figure out. Should't be to hard to track this jerk down. :cool:

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

hahahhaha, geez i feel stupid. most likely he drew out the money already.

even though its only 14 dollars, im going to try my hardest to get it back.
    if he withdrew the money already, will paypal be able to get it back or is it a lost cause now?

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

At times like these are when Rules make sense.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules

You said you bought the Gift card from this forum, where was this ad posted?

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Doesn't a member need to be here for ages and have at least 500 posts before they can sell stuff in the Marketplace?

11. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh snapz. sorry, typo on my part. corrected myself on post number 6. sorry about that :p

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

googled the email address ... found this ... I would email him his own picture

Attached Files:

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Not sure this genius could even see it. :rolleyes:

Should be easy to track this guy down. Just threaten to send his info to the local police. :D

14. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I bought a pink bumper from someone on a forum once. Really great communication during the sale. 2 weeks passed and the bumper never arrived. I sent them several emails and nothing. Then I saw them posting pictures of their iphone with the bumper in the forum! I filed a dispute and eventually escalated the claim. They never answered and paypal gave me my money back. I would just escalate the claim and get your money back since the seller has stopped commuicating.

15. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

good to hear! how long did the whole process take?

im just nervous that paypal may rule against me or the guy may say i used the code and now im trying to get my money back. smh.