Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
SSD speed was mid 2015s bump as well. It's not just a one year model upgrade, it is supposed to be a new machine, the touch bar and all that. The design on the 2015 look dated for sure and it surely is fat compared to the new generation. May buy 2015 and jump on board Kaby Lake or the next gen after that. I have a MacBook with 1.2GHz and 512GB. It's sufficient for portable usage, but I would love to have a single computer instead of two. I hate having some files on A, then some on B. Cloud storage isn't reliable without a dedicated sim-card slot to get rid of wires, routers and external HDDs.
Don't get me wrong, I am not against anyone buying a 2015. They have different pros and cons for different people. I got the 2016 and it is a major upgrade to me. However, I value a lot of the new things about the 2016. Others value them less. I was only referring to the chip speeds which are what everyone likes to benchmark (not me). USB-c and form factor were major selling points for me. But again, I know they aren't for everyone as some people like to constantly remind me.

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
I think in a few years, people will be wishing their laptops had USB-C. I think it will take off, and FAST. Back when USB 3 was just coming out, there was a cheaper laptop that only had USB 2. I regret not spending a little bit more on the model that had USB 3.
It probably will but USB-A won't die out that quickly either. It could be around for another decade the same way DVD and 1080p TVs are still around. There is still too many devices beyond laptops that still uses them like TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, and Windows PCs that take up 92% of the desktop industry. Apple doesn't have the influence with PC like they do with mobile.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
After using a MB Air for nearly 4 years I realised why so many people love macs, it was by far the best laptop I've ever had. Anyway, I spilled water on it (I know) so had to get a new machine. I looked at tons of reviews online and ended up going for the 13" 2015 MBP. As it's so close in price to the new 13" MBP, is there any real advantage to buying one over the other? The new MBP actually comes with a worse processor, the only thing I can see in terms of spec that's better is the screen resolution, but I'd rather save a teeny bit of money and have a faster processor.

I could return this and get the new one, just wondering what everyone here thinks?

Thanks =)

Personally, I'd get the new one (screen, lighter, usb-c and better GPU performance), and if the cost difference is ok to you and you can replace this one for the new one - go for it. HOWEVER, if you cannot exchange it for the new one, the one you have is still great, so just don't think about it and enjoy your awesome computer. None of the advantages of the new one are must-have things, they are just nice.

So - if you can still get the new one - get it. If not - enjoy this one, it's great.
[doublepost=1483472585][/doublepost]
Apple doesn't have the influence with PC like they do with mobile.

No, but all high-end PCs that came out in 2016 come with USB-C, and every laptop in 2017 will come with USB-C, so by 2018. I think a lot of devices will support just USB-C and you'll have to get new cables for USB-A ports.

Another major factor will be monitors - modern laptops have ditched DVI for DisplayPort which didn't really catch on, so every manufacturer is eager to hop onto USB-C too. I bet all monitors shown on CES in a week will have USB-C support and by the end of the year, all high-end monitors will be USB-C.

I also think USB-C will catch on really fast. It's not just Apple - it's everyone, really.

Reactions: thesaint024

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Thing is though, most people don't replace their laptop every year so it won't be within 1-2 years. The majority of people in 2019 will probably still own laptops that don't have a usb-3 port just because they won't have upgraded it yet, so it's not like in 2 years _everything_ will be made for usb-c.

There are people still using their 2010 and 2011 systems. In 6 years, I expect USB-C to be a majority. Sure, USB-A will still be around, just like how VGA is STILL around.
[doublepost=1483473672][/doublepost]
In the soon to be two years of USB C there is no steady market for the standard yet. Most CPUs skip performance boosts in order to make devices thinner, cooler and more efficient. It's too sad the battery power in the rMBP 2016 still suffers even though a new architecture has found it's way into the current generation. If you want bleeding edge, you have to go to the Dell XPS 15. The battery is not as strong as the rMBP 2015, but the power of Kaby Lake and Nvidia 1050 GTX is still lucrative for users who prefer power over battery life.

I believe you, but the IKEA catalog is in fact not even photographs anymore. They tried to use real photographs after moving to CGI, but the feedback was negative, and the next year they went back to 3D modeling. My comment was not targeting wedding snappers. I don't even consider them photographers. If you do the entire process yourself, you are no longer a photographer. You provide a wide range of services rather than framing the world to your taste. The same goes for catalog people. They work in marketing, not photography, even though they have Hasselblad or Leica S.

Because it is cheaper, faster and more convenient for the people who sell real estate to bill a single individual.

Um, are you serious? How does a 15w Kaby Lake beat a 45w Skylake? It is not possible. I have checked the benchmarks. It also has less cores.
[doublepost=1483473888][/doublepost]
SSD speed was mid 2015s bump as well. It's not just a one year model upgrade, it is supposed to be a new machine, the touch bar and all that. The design on the 2015 look dated for sure and it surely is fat compared to the new generation. May buy 2015 and jump on board Kaby Lake or the next gen after that. I have a MacBook with 1.2GHz and 512GB. It's sufficient for portable usage, but I would love to have a single computer instead of two. I hate having some files on A, then some on B. Cloud storage isn't reliable without a dedicated sim-card slot to get rid of wires, routers and external HDDs.

How is that Apple's fault that we have these small bumps? Show me a better processor for the laptops than what is in there. Where are these magical Kaby Lake processors that people keep going on and on and on about that are, what seems to be, a 1,000% boost in performance? I do not see them on Intel's site.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
After using a MB Air for nearly 4 years I realised why so many people love macs, it was by far the best laptop I've ever had. Anyway, I spilled water on it (I know) so had to get a new machine. I looked at tons of reviews online and ended up going for the 13" 2015 MBP. As it's so close in price to the new 13" MBP, is there any real advantage to buying one over the other? The new MBP actually comes with a worse processor, the only thing I can see in terms of spec that's better is the screen resolution, but I'd rather save a teeny bit of money and have a faster processor.

I could return this and get the new one, just wondering what everyone here thinks?

Thanks =)

I love my 2015 Macbook Pro 15". Have zero regrets owning this machine.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Um, are you serious? How does a 15w Kaby Lake beat a 45w Skylake? It is not possible. I have checked the benchmarks. It also has less cores.

Again, if you have checked the benchmarks, may you also provide the benchmarks? Kaby Lake just got released on CES 2017, but there have been rumours for quite a while now. Nothing magical, just newer and "better".

Dell XPS 15 with Quad Core Kaby Lake and GTX 1050
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10937/dell-readies-new-xps-15-4k-quad-core-kaby-lake-geforce-gtx-1050

06wnrXR.png
94727576-a816-46fc-b07d-63558e151c96

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Again, if you have checked the benchmarks, may you also provide the benchmarks? Kaby Lake just got released on CES 2017, but there have been rumours for quite a while now. Nothing magical, just newer and "better".

Dell XPS 15 with Quad Core Kaby Lake and GTX 1050
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10937/dell-readies-new-xps-15-4k-quad-core-kaby-lake-geforce-gtx-1050

06wnrXR.png
94727576-a816-46fc-b07d-63558e151c96

Not released yet. I am sure some people would have preferred that Apple delay their computers until mid 2017, but most were demanding for a refresh. Just look at the Mac Pro discussion. Apple can not win in this situation. Delay until a better processor, video card, whatever is available, or release now with minor speed bumps.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But since we have fallen far away from the original post, would you buy a 2015 rMBP 15" or a 2016 rMBP 15" ?

I would get a 2016 one. I already experience only 45 minutes of battery life when running Final Cut Pro X, so I am not concerned with the battery.

There are more pros than cons with the 2016. Yeah the battery life issue sucks for most people, but I believe it will be fixed as it seems to be a software issue. Rev. A issues which are common.

If I am spending $3,499 on the laptop, I want it to last at least 4 years. Hopefully I can push it for 5 or 6 years. At that point, I am pretty sure USB-C will be VERY common. So future proofing is nice. And I have had to live with dongles and adapters for years. I have a 2013 rMBP. I have needed ethernet (adapter needed), DVI (adapter needed), VGA (adapter needed), three USB ports (adapter needed) and so on.

The display is much better
The SSD is much better at a 3 GB/s transfer speed
Thunderbolt 3 is better, no dedicated port
No dedicated ports (never used SD card reader port)
MagSafe was OKAY, but being able to charge with ANY port is a point in the pros column
The touch bar is nice for my work flow. I rarely used the function keys, so I might get some use out of the touch bar instead.
Touch ID is nice.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
So I made a mistake buying the 2015 15'?

Only reason I went for that was because of the price and all the dongles needed for the 2016 model...:

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013

I am going for the 2015 because of the price, ports and issues with Rev A. Software updates won't fix problems in a new product. It usually just masks them, like they did with the battery indicator, so they can continue selling the product without customers storming to the Genius bar. The advancements in laptops will probably be minor. A MacBook Pro 2015 will probably last for another five years. The quad core Haswell will last you a long time. Some may consider it old and outdated. Performance from Intel flatten out in 2011 with Sandy Bridge. Most advancements have been in 3D performance, video encoding and decoding along with battery life.

If you are determined to be fashionable and are very curious on new ways to use your computer, like bigger trackpads and touch bar, then I recommend you to open your wallet and go for the 2016. Photographers lacking an external monitor to colour proof their material may get better results with the new screen. Just remember that you may have to buy more USB C adapters, equipment and maybe replace your Thunderbolt dock with a 250 dollar USB C dock depending on use case.

If you edit 4K, I would probably move to a Mac Pro or build a dedicated Windows workstation. If not, the 2015 MacBook Pro will suit your needs. Still the itch for something new and flashy has the ability to tempt even the most careful consumer.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

Only reason I went for that was because of the price and all the dongles needed for the 2016 model...:
Your 2015 is fine, especially if you feel you have so many dongles to contend with. And the price is the price. Just enjoy it.

I am going for the 2015 because of the price, ports and issues with Rev A. Software updates won't fix problems in a new product. It usually just masks them, like they did with the battery indicator, so they can continue selling the product without customers storming to the Genius bar. The advancements in laptops will probably be minor. A MacBook Pro 2015 will probably last for another five years. The quad core Haswell will last you a long time. Some may consider it old and outdated. Performance from Intel flatten out in 2011 with Sandy Bridge. Most advancements have been in 3D performance, video encoding and decoding along with battery life.

If you are determined to be fashionable and are very curious on new ways to use your computer, like bigger trackpads and touch bar, then I recommend you to open your wallet and go for the 2016. Photographers lacking an external monitor to colour proof their material may get better results with the new screen. Just remember that you may have to buy more USB C adapters, equipment and maybe replace your Thunderbolt dock with a 250 dollar USB C dock depending on use case.

If you edit 4K, I would probably move to a Mac Pro or build a dedicated Windows workstation. If not, the 2015 MacBook Pro will suit your needs. Still the itch for something new and flashy has the ability to tempt even the most careful consumer.
If I'm reading your post right, apparently I'm a fashionista with money to burn as opposed to an informed consumer like the 2015 buyers. And Apple is conning me into buying this. Good assessment.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
If I'm reading your post right, apparently I'm a fashionista with money to burn as opposed to an informed consumer like the 2015 buyers. And Apple is conning me into buying this. Good assessment.

Your words and perception.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Your words and perception.
I suppose I projected my own insecurities from your unbiased, uncolored assessment of 2016 buyers. My mistake.

It usually just masks them, like they did with the battery indicator, so they can continue selling the product without customers storming to the Genius bar.

If you are determined to be fashionable and are very curious on new ways to use your computer, like bigger trackpads and touch bar, then I recommend you to open your wallet and go for the 2016.

Still the itch for something new and flashy has the ability to tempt even the most careful consumer.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013

I've already bought it
I think I've had it for like a month and a half so it's too late to return lol
I was debating which one to get out of the two but went for the 2015 because of the price and the fact I was a student...
This thread is making me think I should have added more money and got the 2016

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I suppose I projected my own insecurities from your unbiased, uncolored assessment of 2016 buyers. My mistake.

I felt trading my iPhone 6 in for a iPhone 7 didn't add any value to my experience of iOS. It was exciting, but 3D touch, a haptic home button and a missing headphone jack didn't give me anything more than kids giving me compliments for having "number 7". Apple is very much about fashion. In fact most of the Apple buyers validate their purchases as status boosters. Myself included. They look better than other devices on the market. A large part of me buys Apple devices based on looks.

After phones replaced laptops as the number one portable Internet device, I don't care as much as how laptops look anymore, but I value performance and compatibility. I prefer macOS and I like to adapt late, when I identify uniformity and clear path in the additions they make.

And yes, you should be a bit insecure about adapting to the latest and greatest. Sometimes old is gold. I'm not expecting another "iPhone launch" from Apple anytime soon, but a healthy stock price and loyal buyers I believe there will always be.

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Did you buy the new 2016?

Do you think the weight loss and smaller footprint was worth it? Replacing passwords with touchid, would also be nice.

Geekbench indicates small performance gains over the 2015 version
https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/1504293?baseline=1503356

wtv904T.png

Yes, I've seen that comparo you noted. The 2015 Macbook Pro 15" was really fine for my needs and it all worked perfectly. I had not bought a laptop since 2009 so it was a huge step up for me. I am already vested in the Apple eco system and I also wanted a 15" so the Pro was my only option.

I did place an order for the 2016 SG Macbook Pro 16GB 512GB SSD. My reasons are much different than most people. Since I don't buy laptops that often and I had just got the 2015 I kinda had regrets that I didn't get the best Apple has at the moment, such as faster SSD, better color gamut and screen brightness, touch ID and I liked the touch bar and being able to charge it from the right side works better for me as well. I was able to play around with the touch bar at Best Buy configuring the buttons and it could really work for me. Another thing was the backlit keys I wasn't crazy about the light leaking around the keys at night, I like the backlit keys for the 2016 better. I just hope the keys are not too noisy. I really only need 2 USB ports so instead of a long dongle or cable I already bought a twin pack Aukey USB C to USB adapter for $9.00 I'll see how they work and they don't appear to stick out that far. I already have a Mac Mini as my home system so I'm well aware of how Mac OS works and I realized after having the 2015 Macbook Pro how much I hate typing in my password for everything so Touch ID will be nice.

I know with the 2015 15" I had for several weeks over the holiday I was getting great battery life close to 8 hrs or more so I was happy. If for some reason the 2016 15" only gives me 2 or 3 hours of battery (like some here are saying) well then I'll return it and purchase another 2015 and be done with, I don't really want to wait till Fall 2017 too much waiting time.

I've done my homework and realize retail to retail price for what I had with the 2015 and what I bought with the 2016 I am paying about $400.00 more, however in reality the real figure is $730.00 more since the 2015 was a refurb. So I will have to judge once I get the 2016 if that $730.00 is worth the upgrade. I don't concentrate just on the money if something works better for me and makes my life easier for many more years to come than the price is worth it to me. Well see in a few weeks when it ships.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I felt trading my iPhone 6 in for a iPhone 7 didn't add any value to my experience of iOS. It was exciting, but 3D touch, a haptic home button and a missing headphone jack didn't give me anything more than kids giving me compliments for having "number 7". Apple is very much about fashion. In fact most of the Apple buyers validate their purchases as status boosters. Myself included. They look better than other devices on the market. I buy them based on looks.

After phones replaced laptops as the number one portable Internet devices, I don't care as much as how they look anymore, but I care performance and compatibility.
Just because you do, does not mean we ALL do. These are tools first and foremost to me. I don't think my MBP has even been out in public in this first month. Hotel rooms, offices, my desk, not showing it off for anyone. I didn't even take it out on 2 plane roundtrips. I actually just think it's a better tool. I admit, it's cool for the first couple weeks, but if I really cared, it would be taking the public tour to every starbucks in the area. Do people really do this? I value what it's giving me.

Funny you mention the iPhone 7. Yep I got that too, but I always upgrade every 2 years. Advancements in camera technology in phones cannot be denied, and I value my photos more than anything. Others like yourself may not value those things, so no need to upgrade. Am I a fool for buying a $700+ phone that I only care about the camera improvements? Only if photos weren't important to me. But I'm gladly handing over my money on this one. Just a different perspective on what "value" means.

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I kinds of depends how you use your MBP OP.

In general, I'd say you're better with the 2015 model. However, since you mention RAM, I would strongly recommend the 16GB upgrade ( I had the middle range 2015 with 8GB as a personal machine until recently, I really missed the 16GB from my previous 2013 model ).

The 2016 has a faster SSD and is pretty. The end.
I'm pretty sure the screen resolution is the same ?

On the negative side : Battery life sucks, keyboard sucks, ports sucks, you'll need dongles that makes it look stupid and are expensive, you're on an old gen CPU from the start, you get a price hike, you can't plug your iphone / iPad etc, and the Touch Bar is a gimmick for some (many?) of us.
yeah you got it, I don't really like mine (a maxed out 13"). If I had to pay for it with my own money, it would have been returned by now.

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
If you value pricing, longer battery life, and those ports, then a 2015 MBP wouldn't be such a regrettable choice at all.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2013
How do you deal with the battery life on a Mac?

If the laptop is just sitting on my desk should I leave it plugged in charge all the time or should I run it down to 0^ then charge up?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
How do you deal with the battery life on a Mac?

If the laptop is just sitting on my desk should I leave it plugged in charge all the time or should I run it down to 0^ then charge up?

Just plug it in. I always plug in my laptop when power is available since it gives me max performance. And even my 6 year cMBP system I only use every once in a while, says the battery condition is fine, and the battery seem to last as long as it every did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.