Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I got my first bill the other day and decided to call and get the activation fee removed. I do have a FAN account, and told the rep that I wasn't supposed to be charged an activation fee and he promptly removed it.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, you might want to give it a try. :D

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Thanks for posting. Always nice to hear a positive story amongst all of the... other stories. :D

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I also got my activation fee removed.

Along with the activation fee on another line on my account.

And the bogus "late payment" fee. (payment was NOT late!)

And the bogus "prorated" iPhone data plan for a new 1g phone charged for $21, when the plan itself is only $20/mo. The rep was baffled ;)

Case-in-point, I got my bill reduced from over $500 to just under $250. :D

IFBrock

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2005
what reason did you give the at&t rep for your activation fee removal just the I wasn't supposed to have it reasoning? Where do we call what do we do I am curious about all of this. I just activated a new AT&T contract with a fan and was wondering.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
I got mine removed too. I bought the phone on launch day when they had the problems with the activation. I called them and told them because of those problems and the fact I was given the phone to take home to activate I didn't think they should charge the activation fee. They took it off.

milesbeyond

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
My family just started a new family plan, and I'm still waiting for my phone.

But the AT&T rep waived all 4 of our activation fees, even though only 3 lines are currently on the plan (until my iPhone comes in)

I called asking to unlock our registration for the online account, and I just kindly asked her if there was anything they could do about the activation fee. I simply said we just bought 4 phones, and signed on for 2 years, and was hoping they may just do it in good faith.

The lady said she wanted to start off our relationship with them on a good foot, so she said she would waive all 4 of the fees and credit our account. She also changed the caller-ID names for the other 2 phones, so when my sister or my mom calls someone, the caller ID doesn't show my dad's name, but their name instead (which has always bugged us)

It doesn't hurt to simply ask. She says they've been receiving calls non-stop. Just be polite and patient and you may be able to save some money!

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
what reason did you give the at&t rep for your activation fee removal just the I wasn't supposed to have it reasoning? Where do we call what do we do I am curious about all of this. I just activated a new AT&T contract with a fan and was wondering.

I told them the guy at the Apple store told me that I could call CSR and have it removed.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know of a way to get the upgrade fee waived?

If I get rid of it, my bill will be $69.23 for 450 Anytime/5000 N&W and 1500 txts!

:D

EDIT: FWIW, I recently switched from Verizon (If that would give me any kind of leverage)

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
nice does tms4 still work?

you should try u200 for 200 bonus minutes if you havent already

I'm not sure which ones still work anymore. After reading through that thread, it seems like AT&T is starting to blacklist the codes. Luckily I did it when it wasn't so common and I was able to get it done in two tries.

I never tried to get the 200 bonus minutes because I knew I was never going to need them.

But I digress...what's up with the $18?! :cool:

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Think about it this way.

It's simply a fee they can remove to start your relationship with the company on a positive note. It's a red herring to make you think you are starting off on a good foot. If they leave it on they simply do not care how you feel about joining the company.

Really what does it take to activate a phone...it's all electronic signals which they will be paying for anyway with your service charges and the clerk inputting data which they get paid to do anyway.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
You don't need any reason at all. Here was my dialogue:

"Hi, I have a question about my bill"

"Ok"

"Can you waive these activation fees?"

"Yes sir, please hold."..... "Thank you sir, I have removed the activation fees"

"Thanks, bye"

Think of it like a rebate... 90% of people are too lazy to send them in, but those that do get the benefit. Activation fees are nothing more than an idiot tax. Call up and they'll remove it without question.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have called a dozen times to add feature codes - with limited success - and three times to ask about waiving the activation fee. Tonight must be my lucky night since I was finally able to get the $36.00 activation fee waived.

I agree with sr5878. It is something that you will have to ask for, and even then you will have to get lucky and get a rep that doesn't feel that they are personally guarding AT&T's profits.

Now if I could just get the code for free texting to work...:D

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i called and even email them complaining about it, but both email and phone representatives say its something that would have had to been waived when i signed the agreement and also is something that they charge for all upgrades.

idk what to do. i know some of you had it waived and i also waited till i got my bill just so i could call them.

I think if i threaten to leave and pay the cancelling fee they would waive it just to keep me.

also they said there is no discount for the iphone, but yet my bill has a discount on it, so maybe there confusing it with the old iphone that had no discount availability. thanks!

AM0801

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
i just called and had my upgrade fee removed. i didn't give a reason, just asked if they could remove it. the guy sounded confused at first, put me on hold, and then came back and said they would remove it as a one-time "courtesy." fine with me because it's not like i'm going to be upgrading every month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.