Just got the early '08 MBP... Some suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anirudh, Nov 17, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Well, this being my first MBP (had a black MB earlier) I dont know much about it. So need some suggestion who already own one.

1. How easily does the aluminium body get scratched? Do I need to install something like the BSE or BodyGruardz? I definitely dont wanna scratch this machine (i am in love with it)

2. Any other accessories I need to get for the MBP in terms of protecting it. I am against hard shells coz it makes the MBP bulky IMO.

Any other suggestions and heads - ups are welcome.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it will scratch fairly easy, so go with one of the peel and stick protectors since you don't want a hard shell. (don't blame on that one)

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I have had mine for 7-8 months, and don't have a scratch on it yet. It's usually on one desk or another (work or home,) or in a cafe or other establishment with wifi. I throw it in my laptop backpack (8 yrs old) and simply wrap it with a small towel before shoving it in my backpack. I've been too focused on other stuff to take the time to do what I'd prefer, which is to get a soft sleeve (not the zippered style, but one open on a narrow side) that I can just slip it into before putting it in my backpack, but the simple towel has done a great job of preventing any scratches while in transport.

I've heard that some hard shells actually contribute to scratching the MBPs because if any dust or grit gets between the shell and the aluminum skin, it kind of grinds into it over time. Also, they tend to reduce the angle/tilt of the display, which is already limited enough in my book.

I thought about a stick on film protector, but decided it was too much of a fuss, and I was concerned about it sticking or discoloring over time. I already accepted that if any scratches or external wear showed up, I'd just consider it a sign of character...:) So far, so good.

The main thing that has worked for me is; I don't let things rub against it while on the move, and avoid laying anything metal on it, either open or closed. I have found that just being reasonably careful with it hasn't been as hard as I originally thought, but by no means do I baby it. My MBP is worked hard, and travels constantly. And it still looks good. The old mantra, "treat it well, and it will treat you well," definitely applies here. If it winds up seeing a scratch at some point in the future, I'll just love it even more. :D

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

5. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

@orpheus

2.5Ghz, 15', 512MB VRAM, 2gb RAM... Absolutely loving it. Good thing I did not go in for the new MB. This one is 2 months old, doesnt have a single scratch AND comes with apple care and believe it or not got it for 100$ less than a new MB :)

By the way love the keyboard more than the chick let style one.

6. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

btw, I remember reading quite a few number of times that installing the clear skin protectors like body guardz etc make the MBP hotter and less efficient in dissipating heat. Is this true? Coz I sure can adjust with a scratched MBP not a fried one ;-)