Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ok well I just hooked it up to iTunes and set up the phone and chose to restore it from a previous backup. Well as it was restoring I touched the phone and the restore stopped on the phone, but was still going in iTunes.

Now I don't know how to restore it from the backup again, I plug it in and choose to sync, but it starts to back up and I don't want it to overwrite my previous backup.

I choose to restore and it installs software 2.0 for some reason.

So basically I just want to restore from my previous back up, can anyone help me?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Ok well I just hooked it up to iTunes and set up the phone and chose to restore it from a previous backup. Well as it was restoring I touched the phone and the restore stopped on the phone, but was still going in iTunes.

Now I don't know how to restore it from the backup again, I plug it in and choose to sync, but it starts to back up and I don't want it to overwrite my previous backup.

I choose to restore and it installs software 2.0 for some reason.

So basically I just want to restore from my previous back up, can anyone help me?
You can only restore to your "latest" full back-up. So if you messed up your first restore, make sure you select the previous restore file that is saved on your itunes.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The restore will install the software from scratch as well as give you the opportunity to restore from backup. Go ahead and do that, and you should be fine.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Thank you, I backed up my original iPhone last night and that back up is saved in iTunes. So I hope restoring my new iPhone will allow me to restore from last night's backup like you said. Here's hoping.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You know, chances are that just letting the iPhone complete its sync will restore everything. The backup really only stores the phone's settings, identity and activation info. The rest of your content (music, video, contacts, calendar, etc.) are synced.

If the phone isn't asking which backup you want to restore from, then the core set of things it needs to operate have already been restored. The sync just needs to finish.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
You know, chances are that just letting the iPhone complete its sync will restore everything. The backup really only stores the phone's settings, identity and activation info. The rest of your content (music, video, contacts, calendar, etc.) are synced.

If the phone isn't asking which backup you want to restore from, then the core set of things it needs to operate have already been restored. The sync just needs to finish.
If you try to store from a failed backup, it will fail. I know from experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.