Just got the refurb 15" rMBP, questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinyoungkim7, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Hey guys, just received my rMBP 15' refurb a couple days ago and I noticed some things.

1) If I were using it on my lap or bed and watching youtube videos in 1080p, is it supposed to get pretty-very warm? Also, when I'm charging the laptop the magnetic part of the charger that sticks into the laptop is almost untouchably hot. Is that normal?

2) Is it normal to have 3-4 hrs of battery life when watching youtube videos? With brightness at 50% I don't seem to get anything over 4-5 hours with normal usage.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

1. Its going to get hot when you play 1080p videos , if the charger end is hot charging the laptop close and or off then you have yourself a problem but if its because the laptop is running hot and heat is making its way into the magsafe then thats not a problem.

no idea on 2 , i have the 13" rmbp and i usually get 5 hours half brightness video playback and 7-10 just browsing.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Did you install flash in Safari? Using the flash version of the youtube player will generally use more CPU power than using the non-flash (HTML5) version.

You can switch here: http://www.youtube.com/html5

When using it on your bed make sure you aren't blocking the air intake vents that are on the sides near the front of the notebook.

You can also keep an eye on which graphics chip your Macbook is currently using via the program gfxcardstatus: http://gfx.io/

If you are running an application which switches you to the Nvidia 650M graphics chip it can cause a large drop in battery life.

4. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Thanks for the replies, I opted into the HTML5 youtube version. Guess I just use Youtube like usual right?

Hmm, is my battery on the low side of things or fine? Seems like on average with 40-50 % brightness and normal usage with no intensive apps I get around 5 hours.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That sounds a bit on the low side if you're only using the integrated graphics, but would be pretty normal if you're doing something that causes the Nvidia chip to kick in.

Also if you're doing something that's making the computer get warm (like watching lots of flash videos) then that means you're using a lot of CPU power which will drain your battery more quickly.

6. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Ok so while watching youtube videos 1080p html5, at 82% battery life it said 4 and a half hours left.

At 92% battery life earlier and while just browsing webpages it said 6 and a half hours left.

Does that sound normal or should I get a replacement?

7. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Oh and on that note it seems like my new rMBPs battery lasts less than my mid 2010 13' MBP. Is that normal?

8. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Your battery will change depending on it's usage. That number is just an estimate, when you watch a video for example you'll see that number drop to something to around 3-4 hours but once the video ends and you go back to just regular browsing or something less demanding you'll see it jump back up to higher hours.

In short its normal just use the computer.

9. magbarn, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

magbarn macrumors 68000

Get gfxcardstatus. It's found here. Get the app and FORCE it to use the HD4000.
    Apple's 'automatic' switching between the HD4000/GT650M is HORRIBLE. Even in HTML5, Apple's algorithm many times will switch to the 650M. The HD4000 is perfectly capable of powering youtube viewing..

10. hod macrumors newbie

Are batteries one of the items that apple replace as a matter of course for refurbs?

11. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

I have 15 retina too, it's a normal.
    when u watching by youtube, u will be using wifi right? and wifi need extra power. it's difference when u watching 1080 video from HDD file.

12. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

While that app sounds useful, I also like the idea of just using the computer without having to micromanage it. Aren't Macs supposed to "just work".

So when using that app, do you just force the iGPU when doing "normal" tasks then switch it the dGPU when you need more power, thus saving battery life?

13. magbarn macrumors 68000

Well, Apple isn't perfect lol....
    Yeah, I use the app to force iGPU operation. Makes the laptop run much cooler and I've gotten close to 9 hours on battery with light surfing.

14. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Is the 2012 rMBP 15' supposed to have lower battery life than my mid 2010 13' MBP?

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

What people are trying to tell you is that it depends on what you are doing. One major difference between those two laptops is that your new 15" has graphics switching while your 13" only had I integrated graphics. The graphics switching can make your battery life vary greatly, which is why the gfxcardstatus app has been recommended.

16. vpro, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

IT IS outright dangerous and you should return it.

Mine does the same but I know better than to use it for anything more than light photo editing and a few emails while I'm in a cafe or on the can.

These are worthless machines and if anyone should want a class action against the big shiny red fruit company, it should be this, how dare they charge premium on a machine that obviously requires way too much power to simply fuel all those ridiculous amounts of pixels? What is wrong with this picture?

Seriously.

It is NOT NORMAL, I don't know of any notebook computers that get this hot EVER. I've owned many and know of many people who have owned all sorts of notebook computers since the mid 80's, never known personal accounts of this sort of concern till this particular company released this ridiculous "retina" technology. It obviously needs more time to mature but what do they care about timing? They got all the money in the world, or should I say in offshore tax havens *ahem*...

Just return it, it is NOT worth the risk of burning yourself. There NO REASON any notebook computer should get like this EVER. Mine did and I returned it for a free replacement, that now I only use as mentioned above.

I mean seriously? I get nearly 11 hours from my late 2011 maxed out 17" MBP and I'm performing all sorts of demanding tasks on it. Once I jump on my retina machine it can't even run a simple 25 second commercial without the fans roaring like the thing is gonna take off and the heat coming out of the hinge vents totally scorching HOT HOT HOT. Some of you people call this "normal"? To justify what? To deny your regret or something for chasing after the "latest and greatest"? I say there is a lot more this company with the red shiny fruit logo needs to do and be accounted for their lack of concern at this point.

Good luck and sorry this is happening to you.

17. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Uh, you sound pretty mad! My laptop does get warm buffering and watching 1080p videos but definitely not enough to burn me...

All I am asking is if it seems like my battery is fine.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Yes hunnie what ever you say.. Your first question was something about your concern with how warm it was on your lap and the magnetic thingy.

Right - right. You're right. It is all good. Back to enjoying your movies.

I am not mad. I am engaging.

19. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

you sound mad brah, if you that upset just cut your lost and sell it

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is quite normal. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:
    There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    No, they only replace them if they need to be replaced. It is normal for a refurb to have a few cycles on the battery.
    You have posted this nonsense in several threads. You really need to spend some time educating yourself about Mac notebook specifications and heat, so you don't continue posting false and misleading information in the forum.

21. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Wow, thanks for the thorough help!

22. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Seeing has no one has really answered this yet. Yes. The retina display uses more than 2x the power of the non-retina's display (2010). Although the MBPr's battery is larger, the screen still uses more power upon use, so in normal brightness you would get worse battery performance out of it, given the same usage pattern, as the cMBP. If you were, however, to have both machines at the lowest brightness, and performing the same tasks, you may get more more juice out of the MBPr, because the battery is larger. However in general usage patterns, you'll be getting worse battery life with the Retina than the previous gen. There's a reason they capped the brightness. It may not be apparent to some, but when I see that at max brightness it's about 20% lower (2 ticks) than the previous gen, it makes me wonder...

P.S. your battery life seems around average