Just got thunderbolt display. Where to keep MacBook?

sordan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I just bought the Thunderbolt Display tonight and I absolutely love it. I love my Macbook Pro but I definitely prefer to use a keyboard/mouse and large screen when possible. I live in a dorm/studio apartment that is really tiny and it came with a desk (that I can't take out or replace) and its very small. Anyone have any ideas where I can keep my MacBook when its plugged in? I was hoping to keep it in it's bag on the floor, but it seems the thunderbolt/magsafe cable is quite short and I don't think this will be possible.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
I was hoping to keep it in it's bag on the floor, but it seems the thunderbolt/magsafe cable is quite short and I don't think this will be possible.
I think the big problem with that would be the heat, you need to let it breath some. Can you just lean it up against the wall? behind the display or off to the side? it doesn't take up much room.

I've got a rMBP, and it gets pretty hot even out in the open. (seems to be getting hotter with mountain lion, but i'm not sure)

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Twelve South's BookArc Pro is a better option:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H6364ZM/A?fnode=59

Just check compatibility for the new MBPr.
Is BookArc Pro compatible with the new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (Pro with RD)?

Not currently, but we are working on adding full compatibility for the new Pro with RD to our BookArc Pro. Sign up here and we’ll let you know about any future updates to BookArc and other accessories for the new Pro with RD.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/tech-specs/
Hopefully soon

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
When I'm not using the MBP screen as well, I just put it underneath the TBD on its 'foot'. Seems to work well and is pretty unobtrusive, plus it's a free solution!

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I just bought the Thunderbolt Display tonight and I absolutely love it. I love my Macbook Pro but I definitely prefer to use a keyboard/mouse and large screen when possible. I live in a dorm/studio apartment that is really tiny and it came with a desk (that I can't take out or replace) and its very small. Anyone have any ideas where I can keep my MacBook when its plugged in? I was hoping to keep it in it's bag on the floor, but it seems the thunderbolt/magsafe cable is quite short and I don't think this will be possible.

I was stuck in an armoire desk for awhile, and came up with the idea in my sig. It's great for small spaces, and works with all Macbooks, Mac Minis, iPads, etc.

Last edited: