Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
n510059817_320472_6839.jpg

n510059817_320469_5794.jpg

n510059817_320468_5463.jpg

photo.php

n510059817_320467_4933.jpg

It is 867mhz 1Gb ram, 40gb HD, combo, new battery

It has 10.3?

1) Should i upgrade to 10.4?
2) How will iWork 08 be performance wise (keynote possible?)
3) iPhoto 08 or iTunes peformance?
4) Should i install Office 04 or Office 08? what will have better performance?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
It is 867mhz 1Gb ram, 40gb HD, combo, new battery

It has 10.3?

1) Should i upgrade to 10.4?
2) How will iWork 08 be performance wise (keynote possible?)
3) iPhoto 08 or iTunes peformance?
4) Should i install Office 04 or Office 08? what will have better performance?

I would stick with Leapard. iWork 08 worked well on my 1.33GHz Powerbook so shouldn't be too different on yours. Never tried iPhoto, but iTunes should be ok. I would stick with Office 04.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
10.4 shall be fine if you can get more memory in it, i forget if thats the limit? even if you dont get more it will still run fine. Its got plenty of power for keynote and office 08.

I would stay away from leopard just because it seems to tax my MBP quite a bit more than tiger did. A lot more things running in the background to make everything work nicely and that system might not keep up.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
10.4 shall be fine if you can get more memory in it, i forget if thats the limit? even if you dont get more it will still run fine. Its got plenty of power for keynote and office 08.

I would stay away from leopard just because it seems to tax my MBP quite a bit more than tiger did. A lot more things running in the background to make everything work nicely and that system might not keep up.

so office 08? will run alright? and

keynote is the most important! i plan on using this for presentations at school alot!

Office 08
System Requirements

* Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
* PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel Core duo processor
* 512MB RAM
* 1.5GB free hard-disk space
* HFS+ hard disk format
* 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution
* DVD-ROM drive
* Internet access for Entourage and certain other features (fees may apply)

Office 04
System Requirements
* Hard Drive Space: 450 MB
* Operating System: Mac OS X® 10.2.8 or Later
* Processor Type: PowerPC® G3 or Later
* RAM: 256 MB
* Graphics: 1024x768 screen resolution with thousands of colors
* Other: CD-ROM drive

What will run better? i like 08 better...the layout and look....but its more advanced

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a 1.33GHz Aluminum PowerBook with 1.25GB RAM, and it runs 10.4, Office 04, iLife '06, Knights of the Old Republic and Call of Duty with no problems.

I can't speak about Leopard, but in my opinion Tiger should run great, iLife '08 should run OK (iTunes and iPhoto should be good but the movie apps and Garage Band could get slow), Office should run well, and Keynote should as well.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
04 will not even tax your system. 08 might give it a nudge here and there but it'll be fine. Its not really a heavy app, it doesn't do much processing.

Nor is keynote, it might start bitching if you load a bunch of crazy effects and dancing rainbow cats that bring in you letters for your slide, but youd never do that right?

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
04 will not even tax your system. 08 might give it a nudge here and there but it'll be fine. Its not really a heavy app, it doesn't do much processing.

Nor is keynote, it might start bitching if you load a bunch of crazy effects and dancing rainbow cats that bring in you letters for your slide, but youd never do that right?

what do u mean tax the system?

i wont mae dancing rainbow cats....but i may make pink hopping bunnies? cause i heard bunnies work better? LOL jokes

whenever i do presentations with keynote...i feel like steve jobs...i sometimes even where jeans and black turtle neck LOL

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
Your TiBook is in really good condition.

If you're looking to upgrade the OS, I would opt for Tiger. My system (a 667 Mhz model) runs Tiger efficiently, whereas it doesn't meet the minimum requirements of Leopard. I think the advise of others--too taxing for your system--is shrewd.

Your system will have no trouble running iWork (including keynote).

An earlier comment suggested bumping up the Ram. 1GB is the most your system can accept, so you're stuck there, but it sounds to me as though you'll have more than enough to do the kinds of things you've outlined.

Enjoy your new machine.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Yeah, Tiger Definitely.

I had the exact same computer (same ram and processor and HD and everything) before I switched to my MBP.

If I were you though I'd turn off Dashboard. Whenever I would accidently click it and widgets would open, my system would be noticably slower and the fans would go much more then before and until I quit.

Other than that that thing should do all you want it to and more. I regularly used photoshop and flash as well as all the iwork and a variety of other media programs with little to no hitch.

That is in really good condition too! Great find! Be careful about the paint on the off white part, that tends to always chip on all of them, so be careful. Also watch the hinges, They were known to snap on that model. You don't have to baby it at all times, just make sure to not put any undo stress on it.

:) enjoy your lappy!

Edit: WHOA 300??? that's a great deal! I sold that same computer in a little less of condition for almost 600 last year, and I see them regularly for 450+ in worse condition. GOOD BUY!

I'd vote for Tiger here, too.

Leopard still has a fair number of seemingly fairly noticeable, problematic bugs and kinks to be worked out. 10.5.2 may do it, then again it may not, and frankly whatever advantages there are to Leopard are going to be diminished somewhat by the limits of your new laptop's hardware.

One thing to remember is you probably wouldn't want to run iLife '08, either, since you will NOT be able to install iMovie (it requires a G5 or newer, IIRC), whereas iLife '06 will let you install and use everything, no limits.

I'd probably stay with Office 2004, assuming you plan on using any Microsoft products at all, mostly because 2008 is slower and has some features removed from it (most noticeably, support for VB and macros).

Wireless was also a bit of a problem, range-wise, on the Titanium generation of PowerBooks. That's why they switched over to Aluminum on the following generations.

You should really think of this machine as a tide-over until you are ready to get one of the Intel-based MacBooks or MacBook Pros.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Yeah, Tiger Definitely.

I had the exact same computer (same ram and processor and HD and everything) before I switched to my MBP.

If I were you though I'd turn off Dashboard. Whenever I would accidently click it and widgets would open, my system would be noticably slower and the fans would go much more then before and until I quit.

Other than that that thing should do all you want it to and more. I regularly used photoshop and flash as well as all the iwork and a variety of other media programs with little to no hitch.

That is in really good condition too! Great find! Be careful about the paint on the off white part, that tends to always chip on all of them, so be careful. Also watch the hinges, They were known to snap on that model. You don't have to baby it at all times, just make sure to not put any undo stress on it.

:) enjoy your lappy!

Edit: WHOA 300??? that's a great deal! I sold that same computer in a little less of condition for almost 600 last year, and I see them regularly for 450+ in worse condition. GOOD BUY!

how do i disable dashboard forever? its a memory hog anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.