Just got to say thanks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PegasusC, Nov 12, 2016.

1. PegasusC macrumors newbie

PegasusC

After some reading I decided to build a 2006 mac pro. I have lusted after one since I first saw them 10 years ago but never had the money. Now I have a beast running updated Yosemite. Quad core xeons, 32 gigs of ram, raid 1/0 hard drives, a good video card. Maybe an PCIe SSD in the future. I have 2 matching m2's laying around begging to be a raid 0 boot drive again. This is a thing of beauty. A work of art. The whole design of it soothes my OCD soul. All under my 500 dollar budget.

But really a big thanks to Pike for the EFI fix that got me started. Too many to list for the countless posts with tips, tricks and hacks and howtos I have been reading the past couple of weeks. Every question I have had so far has already been answered somewhere here in detail. Mac hackers are as dedicated as the Linux guys and so much nicer. I have yet to see one post with the equivalent of "read the man page." I have a machine now that I would put against modern Apple hardware that has sadly become proprietary again and non upgradeable. It has certainly replaced my much newer yet slower windows box.

I have finally got the machine I wanted.

2. ITguy2016 Suspended

Congratulations on your new purchase. Keep in mind while it is a capable system many newer systems easily outperform it. Enjoy it for what it is but understand what it is ;)

3. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

...and use far less power while outperforming it.

Several years ago I eWasted about 6 racks of servers from that (2006) timeframe - they made no sense from a power and floorspace budget. A "work of art" shouldn't do double duty as a space heater.

ps: "6 racks" would be about 150 dual socket Xeon servers....

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Unlike some...
    I won't rain on your parade,
    but then again I'm also a happy 2006 MacPro2,1 user, somewhat upgraded.

5. ITguy2016 Suspended

No one is raining on his parade. I was merely addressing this part of his post with my comment:

"I have a machine now that I would put against modern Apple hardware that has sadly become proprietary again and non upgradeable."

6. PegasusC, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

PegasusC thread starter macrumors newbie

PegasusC

Whatever it ends up being I will be happy with it because I did not go into it with any expectations other than to see how far I can push it. It is as fast as my last macbook pro 17 I should have never sold that had an I7 in it so yeah that is pretty modern at least by my definition.

I could not buy new hardware with the same power for the price mac or pc and I really really am in love with the design. Even the choice of newer mac hardware I just don't like the path Apple is going down. Trying to pigeon hole people with what they think they want using more and more proprietary hardware rubs me the wrong way. My only other option was a mini but if I have read the reviews right this thing more powerful than a mini in the price range plus theres not a lot I could do with it. This thing I can play around and swap stuff out.

That said I want and need projects like this. I love puzzles and I love making things better, souping things up. If I had the money I would probably be restoring a car or truck making it into a hotrod much the same way for the same reasons. I could go buy a Toyota Camry and have a nice zippy efficient car with nice features but it would be boring. I would rather buy an old mustang and throw parts at it to make it into something fun.

7. ITguy2016 Suspended

I hope I didn't leave the impression that it is a bad system as I believe it is still quite capable. I was just trying to caution you that it is a 10 year old system and technology has improved considerably since its release.

I know how you feel. Despite the fact I can afford any new Macintosh I want I continue to buy older systems. In the past few months I've picked up three PowerMacs, two 12" iBooks, a 12" PowerBook, a 3,1 Mac Pro, and just yesterday afternoon a mid-2010 iMac (which I'm typing this response on).

I love the older stuff and for a lot of people it still works well (though I feel the PPC based stuff is something to avoid unless you're a fan of those systems). Aiden and I somewhat disagree on the usefulness versus power consumption of these devices. I have no issues recommending a 1,1 Mac Pro to anyone considering one.

What is the exact configuration you built it up to?

8. PegasusC thread starter macrumors newbie

PegasusC

Sometime I will have to find a picture of it. I used to have a G3 macbook that a friend of mine painted with zebra stripes. It was pretty famous. I also had a few older macs a pizza box with a 68030 in it. It along with my Amiga was thrown out by my mother when they cleaned out the basement but thats for another forum and therapy session.

What I am working with is a mac pro 1,1 I picked up for under 200. Its got the I think 2.6 processors in it but I am ordering the quad cores. It came with an airport card and 8 gigs of ram. I have an nvidia something in it I dug out of a box at work but have a 5770 on the way. I just put in 32gb of ram. I have 4 1tb drives in it running raid 10. I can't really tell if it helps the speed much over a single or mirrored drive but I have 8 of them laying around from another server project. I have a bluetooth module on the way so I can link it with my home theater for music and a USB 3 card coming. I am running 2 24" monitors but thinking of replacing them with a 32" curved viotek monitor we sell at work thats begging to come home with me. Monitor not included I am right at 496 dollars on the cost of it all. I am on Yosemite right now but hope to take it all the way up to Sierra. Somewhere I have a 4TB drive thats pretty much packed with mac apps and have not even begun installing stuff on it yet. I may move the os to a PCIe card as I have 2 64gb msata drives from a laptop upgrade. So much potential which is why I love it. If Apple would stop making toys for hipsters and start making serous machines for power users who like to customize things again I might look at something newer but right now I am loving this thing. They basically built a desktop out of server hardware then put it in a tank of a chassis. I heard all the talk about it and saw the promos when it came out but this I actually got my hands on one. Its just amazing design.

9. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Dare I ask what you used to set up your 4 HDDs in a raid 10?
    I have 4 SSD's somewhere en route, hence my question.

10. PegasusC thread starter macrumors newbie

PegasusC

I just used built in disk utility. I think I got the step by step from a youtube video but basically make 2 mirror sets (raid 1) which will create 2 mirrored drives. Add the two mirrored drives to a stripe (raid 0) and the resulting drive is raid 10. You can't do it with the disk you boot from unless you make it during the install process which is what I did. I could assume you could use carbon copy to move everything to a USB disk, boot from it make your raid in disk utility then use carbon copy to move everything to the new raid volume.

I have not got that far so maybe they do but I wish there was a daughterboard or had something in firmware that would make the 4 onboard sata ports into a hardware raid which has always been a bit faster but the software raid in disk utility is pretty straight and easy.

I have found hardware raid boards that hold msata drives but they aren't cheap. That is what I am going to go for for my boot drive 2x64gb in raid 0.