Just got used 3G some stuff ok others not..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by silver50, Nov 19, 2010.

1. silver50 macrumors newbie

Can anyone help please...

I've downloaded iTunes latest version, sync'd my iPhone with it, got my iTunes library onto the phone etc

My iPhone is a friends 3G just off it's "02" united kingdom contract. I'm with "02" myself and currently have a small 1MB allowance in my current phone tariff, but i've never ever used any mobile phone internet/data etc. The telephone/text side is fine and I have the 3G symbol.

The provider "02" initially told me the iPhone will work fine with my SIM but I can't access anything and am getting the message "not subscribed to a cellular data service" I have been told to change the APN codes but this has not helped.

The customer services operators have now got me confused as to what the problem is. From what I can see many people sucessfully use an iPhone on thier own contract/tariffs but perhaps with web browsing add on's. Specific iPhone tariffs don't seem necessary?

What do you think out of these choices

1. Could my SIM card the problem (it is quite old but i'm told by the provider it should be ok)

2. The provider now says i'm on an older style billing platform (whatever that means) and that an iPhone won't work on it??? And of course wants to get me onto a specific iPhone tariff. I think understandably I don't want to rush into this if it is not necessary.

3. Do I need to unlock the iPhone in some way?

Hope someone can maybe help me understand what might be the problem or explain if an iPhone does need some sort of hidden magic to work!

2. confucious macrumors 6502

You don't need to unlock the phone.
    Is your SIM a 3G SIM? Get O2 to replace it if necessary)
    You really don't want to enable data if you have a 1Mb limit - that will last about 30 seconds.
    Get yourself a decent web allowance (the web bolt on should be fine) and enjoy your phone.

3. silver50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I was in an o2 shop this morning. What you suggest I believe sounds good and 100% righ

...The only problem is, i've discovered today it looks like my phone has a fault in that it won't find or connect to wireless networks:(

Apparently a fairly common problem?