Just got White iPad2 and its Shattered

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tlb919, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tlb919 macrumors newbie

tlb919

Just Got my White iPad2 Wifi 16GB delivered from FedEx and before I even opened it is did not look good.

[​IMG]

I decided not to open it until I called apple and the rep assured me it is a flat item so it could not be that bad and informed me to open it too see what steps needed to be taken. This it what it looks like. Apple is sending me out a new one but wont be here till May! Im kind of bitter with FedEx. And now because someone is incompetent I get to wait even longer. Anyone else have this problem?

2. kamusta1 macrumors newbie

You should try going to the Apple store if you have one near by. I'm sure they have replacements on hand.

3. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

after all that wait you got a shattered one?

sorry. that is a bad story. at least apple is going to take care of it for you.

4. tlb919 thread starter macrumors newbie

tlb919

Yeah they apologized profusely but It is not their fault and I understand that but they comped the price of my SmartCover for the problem which I appreciate it's just kind of a bummer.

And do you think Apple would do that if either store does have any replacements (I doubt they do though)??

5. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Apple Retail Stores receive daily shipments. They exercise care in how they are distributed. If you received one DOA, quite logically they would prioritize you. It's a judgment call but worth a try. Just make an appointment online to be seen at the Genius Bar so you won't have to wait in line with all the other iPad shoppers.

6. kamusta1 macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure most apple stores have replacements. I got my iPad 2 replaced last week because of 2 paint chips on the corners of the iPad, and one by the sim tray. The rep swapped out my iPad with a brand new one. I opened it up myself too. Since I gave the rep my old box and all accessories back, she gave me the box and accessories for the new one.

7. tlb919 thread starter macrumors newbie

tlb919

What should I do regarding my replacement order or would they probably take care of that?

8. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

that stinks man! good thing apple has good customer service!

9. kamusta1 macrumors newbie

I'm sure the Genius bar rep can call Apple and cancel your replacement order. I would hate to wait till may to get my iPad.

10. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I would assume they would be able to take care of it. It's worth a try to visit the Apple store, I've always had REALLY good luck with them being helpful. I am sure they have SOME set aside for replacements because Apple is BIG on solving problems in their store (ie not having to order out for replacements).

Good luck! What a bummer :(

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

12. brennt macrumors newbie

I bought mine at Target last week. The screen cracked yesterday. I took it to the Apple store today & they exchanged it for a new one. Even though they were out of stock for purchases, they do have some available for replacements.

Make a genius appt. at the retail Apple store. They will take care of your situation.

13. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

How? Spontaneously? :confused:

14. ThReMiX macrumors member

Lol that's what I was wondering? Should I be worried? :confused:

15. brennt macrumors newbie

I had just put a Best Skin Ever on the back of the iPad and placed it on top of a cabinet to dry overnight. To my horror, it was on the floor when I woke up. Apparently, the cat knocked it onto the floor sometime during the night. I thought where I had placed it was out of his reach. Apparently not. :mad:

On another note, I got more good news today, bestskinsever.com is sending me a free replacement for the new iPad 2 that Apple exchanged for me. :)

16. Kalaska macrumors newbie

Shattered screen --

After having my IPAD for 2 weeks my screen has shattered! I even paid for an invisible shield installed at BestBuy Even with the invisible shield, typical wear and tear can allow you to shatter the screen.

17. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

That really sucks even worse was Fedex. We have trouble with UPS here and I was sure when I clicked on this thread that would be the case but not Fedex.

Our UPS puts the items at the doorstep doesn't knock or anything because it might be damaged they are horrible with packages. I guess it doesn't matter Fedex etc... just the people carrying the package. I always think of Jim Carry Pet Detective "were goin downtown" lol...

Show us a pic of it please.

18. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

After all this it makes you completely lose faith in fedex, and ups isn't doing much better either.

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Sorry this happened to you.

But you'd be surprised how far Apple stores will go to make you happy. Just go to one and explain the situation (take your shattered iPad with you) and see if they will help you. They can only say no and I've had several experiences where they go beyond the call of duty to assist me with issues I've had.

And if you go soon, you'll be getting an "original" iPad 2 replacement that isn't a refurb'd unit from someone else's misfortune. Not that a refurb is a bad thing but I've always had this psychological objection to accepting a refurb'd replacement for a BRAND NEW purchase that breaks. If I'd wanted used/refurb'd I'd have paid less than new and got used/refurb'd. But at this stage of the production cycle, there are no iPad 2 refurbs yet...they are all manufactured as replacements for early swap out situations like yours.

So take some consolation from the fact the thing shattered on arrival. If this was four months from now, you'd be getting your NEW broken iPad 2 replaced with a refurb'd unit that someone else had abused and returned.

As Garp would say, you've been "pre-disastered." :)

20. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

No Doubt!!! Mine is opposite UPS sucks and Fedex I can breath easy. I don't trust UPS for a minute. I also love how the online tracker says "package delivered" then you can click on "proof of package delivered" says something to the effect of "item scan delivered" now thats solid proof LOL.

Only way I know my UPS package is delivered my Dog starts barking when he hears the delivery truck. I know to look out the door there is the package and the delivery guy driving off fast as he can HEHE.

I wonder if any of these delivery companies are held accountable?

I found the Pet Detective delivery think he had your iPad 2 LOL check it out. Think the best part is when the package gets caught in the elevator door over and over.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wGeErYTl8

21. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear :( some people at fedex treat fragile items like it's trash. Hopefully apple will be able to ship you out a new one before may, they sometimes do early deliveries, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The iPad still has a very high demand all over the place. Hopefully the next one arrives in one piece :)

22. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

FFS ppl it's shattered, what else do you need to see a pic of?
    Don't worry, yours can't suffer the same fate unless you aren't careful.
    You don't need to make a appt. @ the genius bar to see if yours may be able to suffer the same fate, nor do you need to turn it in because now you have fear you may shatter it.

[​IMG]

23. Smoothness macrumors regular

it looks real good minus all the cracks

24. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

cause it was shattered, DuH :D

25. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Great wallpaper.