Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Now I can't move at all and am just sitting in my bed on my trusty mbp all day. Never realized how much it sucks not to be able to move. Anyone else go through this? My surgery was yesterday, we did a hamstring graph. I'm 16, 17 in a month, and its gonna kill me to have to sit around all summer while my friends are having fun.

:mad::mad::mad:

cheer me up!

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I tore my ACL (Anterior cruciate ligament) playing lacrosse 6 weeks ago. I just had surgery yesterday and can't do anything without help. I basically have to just sit on the couch watching movies, playing ps3, and using the computer. I'm in some pain right now, but nothing unbearable. I'm also on Oxycodone, which helps. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You had an injury that was repaired fast. Your future in sports isn't ruined. You had the surgery over summer because you need ample time to heal and rest, which cannot be done unless you miss a fair amount of school.

Many people have this surgery done and they eventually recover. Right now you're just bored and that's understandable.

Is there anything you've been wanting to learn to do that would require you to sit still and read? Two things a 16 year old boy can hardly ever do unless forced.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I had knee surgery in college. Not as severe as you, mine was a stage one patella realignment done by scope. So, I wasn't laid up as long as you will be, but yes it does get boring quick. Call your friends and try to get them to come over as much as possible for movies, games, just hanging out, etc. The other thing to do is take this time to do those things that you never do but "always wish you had the time for." You know what I mean, everyone has those moments when they think "if I just had a few hours to sit down and do ....." Well now you do. Best of luck, hope everything heals up well. :)

Oh yeah, get ready for physical therapy. Lots of work, but don't slack off. It'll be worth it in the end.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Ha! (Aside from the pain) sounds like a students dream! :D Hope you get better soon man, how long you gunna be resting up for?

hmm, lets see, I'll be off crutches in about 2 weeks, and can start biking (stationary) in 10-14 weeks. Running won't be until about 4.5-5 months. I should be cleared to return to sports in 6 months (minimum). Good thing I quit soccer.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've torn the ACL in both of my knees, at separate times, playing soccer. So I know what you're going through.

Trust me when I say that it does get better and, like jessica. said, many people do recover. I'm back playing soccer once a week, and doing other physical things as well. My knees aren't the same as they were before (I can't kneel for extended periods of time, and can't squat down for longer than a few seconds, among other adjustments I've had to make) but they have been repaired well enough that I can still enjoy a normal, active life.

If you have any questions about the process/recovery, I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. You have a lot of work ahead of you (you'll be surprised at how much your injured leg has atrophied once you're able to take off the brace). Let me know if I can support you in any way.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I've torn the ACL in both of my knees, at separate times, playing soccer. So I know what you're going through.

Trust me when I say that it does get better and, like jessica. said, many people do recover. I'm back playing soccer once a week, and doing other physical things as well. My knees aren't the same as they were before (I can't kneel for extended periods of time, and can't squat down for longer than a few seconds, among other adjustments I've had to make) but they have been repaired well enough that I can still enjoy a normal, active life.

If you have any questions about the process/recovery, I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. You have a lot of work ahead of you (you'll be surprised at how much your injured leg has atrophied once you're able to take off the brace). Let me know if I can support you in any way.

did you have a nerve block on your leg?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Hmmm...I don't believe so. I was under general anesthesia for the surgery and then just prescribed narcotics for when I got out. Unfortunately, the narcotics made me nauseous, so I just dealt with the pain.

what did they give you? I have oxycodone and I'm still hungry and not sick.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You have a lot of work ahead of you (you'll be surprised at how much your injured leg has atrophied once you're able to take off the brace).

That's an understatement. I'll never forget sitting on the table after they took my brace off. The doctor said okay bend your leg if you can. My mind was giving the command, but my leg didn't budge at all. It was really weird. You have feeling and everything, but it's like your muscles have just gone on vacation.

The other thing that tends to happen is slight nerve "damage" depending on how they went in. To this day I can touch certain parts of my incision scar and feel it in other parts of my leg as opposed to where I am touching. The doctor said it common with major operations and has to do with how the nerves run throughout the body. I still think it's weird.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
That's an understatement. I'll never forget sitting on the table after they took my brace off. The doctor said okay bend your leg if you can. My mind was giving the command, but my leg didn't budge at all. It was really weird. You have feeling and everything, but it's like your muscles have just gone on vacation.
Getting my range of motion back went way faster on my second leg than it did on my first. I knew that I was able to push (or, actually, pull my leg, using a towel) my leg to where it just started to hurt, and did that exercise a few times a day. The first time around, I was a bit too worried about messing anything up.
The other thing that tends to happen is slight nerve "damage" depending on how they went in. To this day I can touch certain parts of my incision scar and feel it in other parts of my leg as opposed to where I am touching. The doctor said it common with major operations and has to do with how the nerves run throughout the body. I still think it's weird.
Fact. My knees constantly feel like they are partially "asleep." They tingle whenever someone touches them.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I had a patella graft on both of mine. I had the same surgeon for both knees, and that is what he liked to do and thought works best, so that's what we did. I've heard of hamstring grafts, and I've also heard that cadaver grafts are supposed to be great. It really just depends on the surgeon.

Something else that depends on the doc- whether or not you'll wear a brace the rest of your life or not. I know people who have had specially made $1k+ braces made for their reconstructed knees. My doctor is not a brace guy at all- he told me to wear one only if it made me feel better about it, if it gave me piece of mind. I am currently not wearing a brace on either of my knees.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Don´t worry about spending the summer on the couch not moving. Your friends will most likely be doing the same thing.;)

Best advice I can give is enjoy it and milk it for all that it´s worth and when the pain finally starts to go away, don't think you can start walking on it. The recovery takes time, and your doctor & physical therapist know best.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
was I the only one who thought that ACL = Access Control List?

I did. I was thinking "re-write the ACL and copy it back into the router". :)

Anyway, hope the ACL comes along quick for you. One of my best friends blew out his ACL, MCL, and PCL on the same knee. He said the rehab was worse that the surgery.

Anyway, try http://www.fark.com - Read the comments for some entertainment.

http://www.hulu.com is fun, too. I lose a lot of time on that site.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I completely ruptured my ATFL (anterior talofibular ligament) in a bicycle accident. I was on crutches for 6 weeks after the injury and surgery. The only good thing for you is that you are pretty young and will heal more quickly and completely. This injury happened to me a year and a half ago and I still feel pain. Make sure you use lots of ice and do what the rehab people will instruct you to do when you go. Anyway, take it easy and get lots of rest.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
My sister tore her ACL a few years ago. 4-5 months before she was allowed to play volleyball again. Had to wear a brace until about 9 moths after the injury.

As for her ability to play about 8 months to get back where she was before the injury but since then she taken off. Her injury did cost her a few scholarships and she went under the raider to most school but her injury happen to just have bad time. It was about the time school would looking at players when she would be graduating. She did still get a full ride to a school.

All in all it should heal. It will take you 8-9 months to get back where you were in the sport. Just make sure you do your PT and everything they tell you to do. That part is very important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.