Just had ANOTHER very nice and very helpful 15min convo with ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScrappyDoo80, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo80 macrumors member

Ms. Sara(h) C. of ATT Just spent a very nice 15 mins with me explaining some things.

She said that even tho I bought my 3GS 32GB end of last July, (while swithing to ATT), I have the total unlimited plan which makes me an ATT VIP and am presently qualified for a full upgrade (and full discount..) .. I wasn't aware that the new iPhone doesn't have a 64GB (I thought it did doh!) but she says I can get the iPhone 4, 32GB ( the newest neatest biggest baddest) with a new 2year contract for $299, and that was how much my 3GS 32gb was...

She also said that I can buy my CURRENT plan I use presently ,and re-up THAT plan for 2 years ( so summer 12 instead of summer 11 ) AND keep the whole unlimited Data package for $30... We spoke AT LENGTH at this point, and I was ASSURED, it is COMPLETELY UNLIMITED, and *AS LONG AS I CONTINUE PAYING FOR IT $30/MO* I will be able to keep it. She said the ONLY REASON I would get it taken would be downgrading (even temporarily) or changing my entire plan (i.e. canceling and then CANCELING my Cancel and starting over etc.) ... She was like, you can play around with your minutes, and or your txts, and mess around month to month with those packages, but if you keep paying your $30 Data unlimited, you will enjoy unlimited data, (and I made her say it like 5 times, TRULY, COMPLETELY, NO IFS ANDS BUTS, Runs Drips or Errors, UNLIMTED DATA??) and she says unlimited. She even joked about Sucks to be new iPhone plan buyers, especially buying an even Awesomer iPhone with limited data, but she said, you have been, are presently, and will continue to pay for unlimited everything. You should NEVER have to think twice , much less actually monitor, any of your usage of your iPhone, you're paying a lot of money to never have to think of that.

I post this simply as a reassurance to anyone else who does the unlimited dance... I have been completely assuranced it's all good, unlimited, as long as you dont screw up and change or fail to pay.

Having said this, the first time i was told it was all good, they announced the new plans the next day :p

-Scrap

OH AND BTW---

Can someone please explain to me, I'm not THAT TECHNICAL, how this "packet sniffing" works and how they know if you're tethering? I really would like to understand how they know you'd be tethering rather than using native iPhone Data... Can they also therefore tell each thing your using data on? I.e. do you know when you're browsing on Safari? Pandora? yahoo music? Justin.tv video? Etc.

Thanks!

2. omizzle macrumors regular

when you upgrade your phone, does it add 2 years to the end of your current contract? or 2 years from the date of purchase (ie. overlapping with your current contract)

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Two years from the purchase date, I believe.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's 2 years from the date of purchase.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See the upgrade guide in my sig.

6. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation, however, last night I actually switched to the $25 2GB plan. I'm a pretty HEAVY iPhone user (a lot of browsing, downloading apps, using apps that use internet) and I usually cap my usage at about 1.7 GB per month. The nice thing that I saw, was in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that I go over 2GB, they'll add another 1 GB for $10, which is only $5 more than I was paying for unlimited.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Basically, packet sniffing is the identification of packets. Your data on the web is transferred in little packets. These packets are then sniffed by the servers. The servers identify then as either: MOBILE or OTHER. The system is very, VERY accurate, let me tell you that. Whilst it does not stop OTHER packets, this is noted on system. They can tell whether or not you are tethering, but they need a court order to be able to see what data you are transferring. They do have the right to prevent certain types of packets, e.g video.

8. agjake01 macrumors regular

I'd imagine your tethered connection establishes a new IP address, thus while sniffing, they can tell. Not to mention if they ping you and see you are on a laptop by identifying your MAC address..

Just a guess.

9. f00f macrumors 65816

I can vouch for that, having spoken to an ATT rep last night about my plan. I was assured that as long as the data plan isn't downgraded (and seriously, who in their right mind would do so... unless they need tethering?) we are forever "grandfathered" into the unlimited plan.

10. saDeRmac macrumors regular

That is accurate.

11. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Someone was telling me to go back and read the fine print of your contract...it's not REALLY unlimited.
    It maxes at 5gig, and then they charge you more.

I haven't confirmed this...but I will look over mine later this evening.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

We had a big debate on here re: this. Looking at the details of the TOS, only the tethering plans have a soft-cap. There is NO cap for the unlimited smartphone plans that do not include tethering. I promise, it was a big dabate (that I won ;)).

13. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, i was skeptical...because that would be something akin to bait and switch...or false advertising...

Link to convo/debate?

14. saDeRmac macrumors regular

iPhone and smartphone data plans without thethering are not limited at all. Although it is unlimited once you go over 5GB I think AT&T sends you an email/text explaining that you are using too much data and how to decrease your network usage. The only plans that are limited are the new plans as well as the old tethering plans and LaptopConnect devices.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

16. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Sounds good and everything, but we all know when 4g rolls out in a year or two they will call it 4g data plus or something, and if you want to use 4g you will have to get off that old unlimited 3g data plan.

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've learned the hard way not to believe anything an AT&T rep tells you. If you can't find yourself it in an official AT&T document or user agreement, then it just aint so. Doesn't matter what some CS rep tells you.

18. saDeRmac macrumors regular

The $30 data plan was to align all of the smartphones to the same data price. I don't see the data prices changing with the advent/launch of LTE
    ... unless they have a proven track record like me? lol :D

19. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Sorry, AT&T gets no latitude with me. They have a permanent spot, along with Sprint, on my s&*% list.

20. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Understood.

21. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

Its 2 years from the phone purchase. Doesn't add. Also, if you have a Family Plan, the main account holder is also considered "VIP" status. Not any sub accounts though.

Also, I had a chat with AT&T and they assured me without a doubt that I get to keep my unlimited plan. This may be a ploy to keep existing customers if you ask me.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

23. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Wait, did he just say Awesomer?

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo