Just had AT&T turn off Unlimited Data from my iPhone, question about using it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Mar 26, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Now that I'm just using my iphone for a music player and games, I went ahead and turned Notifications off and even deleted the internet-based apps (Facebook, NY Times, etc.)

Will I be okay, meaning when my next bill comes it won't be $5,000 worth of data charges because my iPhone was using data without an Unlimited plan?

Please help, so I won't have any problems like this.

Thanks guys.

2. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

The AT&T rep asked me if I wanted to block data completely and I said no... Should I call back tomorrow and just go ahead and do this? Seems like the safest thing to do... Am I being paranoid?

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

You'll want to pop your sim into a non iPhone phone. Then call AT&T and tell them to block data completely. You should then be able to pop your sim back in your iPhone and use it as you would an iPod touch with phone and messaging abilities.

Don't quote me on this, as I'm only just piecing together what I've heard over the years.

4. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap I didn't do that until just now (you reminded me). I told the lady I was gonna do that but I had to let my old phone charge. I called AT&T earlier this evening.

Did my iPhone use data in those 3-4 hours since I had them turn the Unlimited Plan off???

OMG... OMG no way... My bill is gonna be like $1,000???

5. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

No. I highly doubt it used that much data $ in 3-4 hours. Do not worry.

6. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay... Can you give me a ballpark estimate though??? :( OMG you guys have me freaking out now...

And it's 11 PM Pacific Time over here so I can't call AT&T till tomorrow.

From the time I had her turn off my Unlimited Data, I only used my iphone to listen to music. Didn't pull up any apps or internet or anything. I still had my SIM in there cuz I forgot to yank it.

Just yanked it out now.

So am I in the clear or not??? :confused:

7. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Likely, $0. After you call AT&T back tomorrow and explain to them what you really meant to do, I'm sure they won't throw charges at you. DON'T worry.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

9. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Why do you have your Sim in if you are not using as a phone anymore? Take the Sim card out, end of story.