Just had logic board replaced...now beachballs.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

So my parents just had their logic board on their original aluminum (2007) 24" iMac replaced for quirky USB port issues that popped up on them within the last 30 days of AppleCare.

They got the computer back like 2 weeks ago and now my mom is experiencing random/intermittent beachballing while doing simple tasks like typing in a spreadsheet.

I have checked their hard drive for directory damage and SMART status failure/bad sectors etc. and everything there is checking out ok.

It has never had a problem or repair before and this is concerning being that I believe their applecare runs out today. I'm just trying to figure on what else could be causing it other than a bad logic board since thats the only thing that changed.

Other ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're incurring issues, then perhaps you should contact applecare regarding this especially since they did the work.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Could be bad RAM as well. As said above, just call Apple and get it fixed. Even if it didn't have warranty, Apple must fix it as the repair also has warranty (90 days I think).

4. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I made them another appointment at the store for today, but I'm just trying to get ideas of what else might be causing this.

5. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that the RAM that is in there is 3rd party ram, either from newegg or OWC, but it was in there for the entire time (got it about 2 weeks after the computer itself) that we had the original logic board and we never had a problem.

I also know that the repair warranties from Apple are 90 days on the component that was replaced, it does not extend your whole warranty, just the component replaced warranty.