Just how fingerprint resistant will the iPhone 4 be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Jun 17, 2010.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I was just perusing the iPhone 4 tech specs, and under display it says: Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back.

For some reason, when I hear "oleophobic" it reminds me of something like arachnophobia or hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (which is fear of long words - ironically)

Anyways, after doing a little research oleophobic means: having or relating to a lack of strong affinity for oils

I just have an affinity for fingerprints, on this phone....we've all seen how that turns out....

for the record I still want white :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dmx macrumors 6502

That phone was probably handled by dozens of people with dirty hands before thosr pictures were taken.

It will show fingerprints - especially with the black back - but I doubt they will look that bad. JMO.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Do you have the 3GS or an iPad? The oleophobic coating is the best invention since sliced bread for a touch screen device. Don't worry about fingerprints. A quick wipe with a soft cloth, and the screen is like new. This is one feature that I love so much on my 3GS.

4. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Does the current 3GS screen have this feature?

I agree with the above poster, tons of people probably had their hands all over it.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yes. :)

6. dmx macrumors 6502

Yes, the 3GS does have the oleophobic coating on the front only.

In my experience, it works great for a few months, but it does wear off with time.

7. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

poop

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

How old is your 3GS? 8 months so far, my 3GS' coating is still fine. :) (finger crossed) Note that I don't use any kind of screen protector, which I do believe interfere with the coating after removal.

9. dmx macrumors 6502

It's about 3 months (warranty replacement).

I don't know, it seems like it just lasts longer for some than it does for others. I know others here have talked about their's wearing off as well.

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

84.5% resistant.

Well, this answer is as arbitrary as the question, right?

:D