Just How Good is the MBP? What Can it Handle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebeave, Dec 31, 2009.

1. thebeave macrumors member

I'm looking into a Mac laptop purchase to use for photo/ video hobby purpose, probably 8-10 hrs / week. I already have a 5 yr old Mac tower at home so want to stay w/ Mac.

I'll use CS4 to edit / create photo files up to 50-100 MB+. Will use iphoto and maybe Aperture or Lightroom eventually.

I'll import/ edit HD video (miniDV) from a Canon consumer camera in iMovie HD (2005 version) iMovie (current version) , and some FCE.

I have several FW800 external drives to hold my library of tunes, photos, video.

I might mix some tunes, at least in Garage band if not in a more sophisticated prograsm at some point.

Can I do all this smoothly, without the spinning ball / hangups, pretty easily on a MPB? I'm happy to go base model on a 15 and upgrade ram HDD myself later if necessary.

Thanks

2. Mhmm macrumors member

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm doing most of what you want to do. No problems here, though the HD video encoding does take time. Anyway, will be interesting to see you how you deal with the Lightroom/Aperture decision down the road.... :)

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Shouldn't have any problems. Load up with ram and make sure you've got the needed hdd space.

5. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

I do virtually the same as you, yet I play game on Windows also.
    It can run BF2142 on virtually full.
    My MBP Cost £1300 around 1/2 years ago.
    I've upgraded to 4GB RAM RPM HDD to come (Upgrading from a 5200 RPM 200GB HDD).
    So over all, including anything extra, it's cost me around £1400/£1450.
    I'd recommend a new HDD, and get the smallest RAM you can, and upgrade using Crucial.
    Hope this helps.
    Joseph Duffy

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yawn. Doesn't sound intense at all. When you start working with hundreds of layers or start charging clients for editing HD footage than the horsepower of the Mac Pro will be more attractive but for just dabbing in either a MB would be fine.

7. thebeave thread starter macrumors member