Just how Mighty IS the Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peanutismint, Jul 25, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm a fairly recent switcher (Easter 07) who has finally taken the big step of going 100% Mac by moving my PC downstairs. I got fed up with trying different ways to use both my Macbook and my PC with KVM switches and I really do prefer OS X now, after the 'training period'. Anyway, one problem I'm having is that my Microsoft Optical Intellimouse is misbehaving. It keeps waking my Macbook out of sleep (at least i THINK it's the mouse...) and also, after waking, it doesn't respond; I have to unplug and reconnect the USB cable. Anyway, I'm guessing Apple's own peripherals work best with Apple's hardware, correct? So I'm thinking about getting a Mighty Mouse and then somewhere down the line a keyboard. My queries are as follows:

1) Bluetooth or Wireless? Pros? Cons?
    2) Do Mighty Mice have two click buttons now, or did I just dream it?! (I'm not sure I could live without right-click!)
    3) Does anyone have any reasons why I SHOULDN'T buy an Apple mouse? OR what I should buy instead that won't have the problems my current MS peripherals have? Has anyone else experienced the unresponsive/sleep-waking problems?

Like Johnny 5 say, your input is much appreciated.

2. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

1.) I personally prefer Bluetooth. It doesn't tie up a USB port. However, sometimes, Bluetooth may not connect as well (not for me personally, but I've heard).

2.) Yep. 2 click buttons.

3.) I just don't find it very comfortable, and I can't live without the side buttons on a Logitech mouse for Dashboard and Expose.

Hope this helps!

3. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

1. Bluetooth=Wireless. The only con is the batteries that you will probably replace once in a while. I recommend Bluetooth over USB, though. :)

2. The Mighty Mouse does have the left-click and right-click buttons, and if you push the half-circles on the sides in, you get an expose-sort of effect. Also, the sphere on the front works wonderfully as a scroller. Clicking the sphere brings up Dashboard.

3. None that I know of. :D

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah right, so wireless comes with what, a USB dongle or something? Yeah that's not great, I'd much rather the BT version. That's cool about the 2 clicks, I've just been looking at the product site too.

Doesn't the Mighty have side buttons for that stuff though? Yeah I've read some people have said it's not great feeling, comfort-wise, and also that it feels pretty shoddily built. But do you think it'll eliminate my sleepless problem? Or is that likely to be something else I've connected?

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah right, sorry, I was under the impression there were two wireless versions, one BT and one, i dunno, 802.11g or something :D Duh.

Right, well this all sounds pretty good, so I might pop into an Apple tomorrow and testdrive one...

Cheers guys!

6. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

About the sleeping problem... I'm not really sure. I only use my Mighty Mouse to play Halo, and obviously my MacBook never goes to sleep during that time. I'll try it when I get home. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hate the Mighty Mouse.

One thing... if you are using BootCamp and Windows, do not get Wireless. It's problematic.

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

The Mighty Mouse isn't so mighty when it comes to that darned scroll ball. When it works, it's cool, but it conks out half the time and then you have to clean it.

I just went back to using my Wacom tablet.

9. pcorajr macrumors 6502

I personally think that the Mighty Mouse is one of the worse mice i have ever used in my life. To me it feel very uncomfortable and lacks the performance that i need to play games and get things done faster. I am a MX Revolution user, this mouse is worth every dollar i payed for it.

It is very comfortable and has a load of buttons and scrolls that do not get in you way and are very usefull.

I use this mouse in both windows and mac and love it.

Now im not a full time mac user but interact with them at work and have access to a MBP to take home occasionally. The times that i have used the mighty mouse i have had a hard time with it. This might not be the same for you.

I would suggest going to the apple store and using their computers there. Their mouse are used alot so that should give you a good feel for what the mouse will feel like once its broken in.

10. rev316 macrumors regular

Arg, I can't stand the Mighty Mouse.

It's something about a multi-button mouse that just stuck with me.

11. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

The MM looks great with amazing features. Now, only if it worked as it was designed to.

The scroll ball is fragile and too small, the squeeze buttons on the sides are too stiff and its not a very comfortable mouse. On occasion, the cursor would inexplicably fly across the screen.

The MM does glide smoothly, though. And as mentioned earlier, if it wasn't so finicky and if it was more ergonomic, it would be the best mouse around.

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've had my bluetooth Mighty Mouse for a year and I love it. No big problems with the scrollball, right-click works fine, and I like the feel of it.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

MM is awful. Do a search for my opinions if you like, otherwise just trust the other complainants in this thread, they're all pretty accurate.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I could never get used to the MM, it just felt unnatural in my hand.

That, and there's the fact that apparently you can't right click unless your finger is off the left button. Or something like that as I recall. Whatever it was, it was different to my normal mouse. I'm not that fussed with mice either (I spend as little as possible on them, £5 for the one I have now, some generic thing) but I wouldn't have the MM for free.

15. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

i have two MMs, one with a tail and one with out. I think they're ace and they look lovely! I work fast with them! Sure, you gotta give the wee scroll ball a good rub sometimes, but i can live with that.

16. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I have to agree with the other complaints in this thread. The scroll ball constantly messes up and is annoying. I wanted to like the mouse, I really did, but it was horribly expensive for something I can't even stand using. I switched back to my regular mouse (with a working scroll wheel) after about two weeks of trying to like the Mighty Mouse.

17. ghettochild macrumors regular

1. Your personal choice
    2. You already know the answer.
    3. The MM is simply inferior to other mice. The only pro is the looks, and that's about it. I sold my BT MM and bought a Logitech MX Revolution. Sure enough, the Rev. leaves the MM in the dust.

18. Alloye macrumors 6502a

It seems the Mighty Mouse is one of those love it or hate it things. I happen to love mine. I bought the Bluetooth version as soon as it came out and it still works great (including the scroll ball).

If there's one improvement I would like to see it would be easier to use side buttons. The current version requires a pretty solid squeeze to actuate the switches.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

its ok... the ball is way to small for scrolling.
    I just starting using mine about 10 mins ago b/c my old single button bluetooth mouse stopped working and i wanted to see if it was a mouse or my computer...it does glide nice on my desk (mica)

20. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have had a few USB mighty mice, it seems the older versions are the ones with the problems. I have had my last one for about a year, daily use, and have never had to even clean the scroll ball. The older ones I have never had any large problems with, but my current one does definitely feel better all around, for click reliability and just overall feel. I have not had much experience with the bluetooth version as of yet, but my wired, I love. But for some reason, it does kind of have some hiccups with windows, it doesn't seem to work comfortably in it.

21. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I just took my first wireless mm back because the scroll stopped moving to the right. My new one works even better than the first in all aspects so far. I also noticed that vertical scrolling works a lot better than horizontal...maybe just the way my fingers work on the ball.

22. srexy macrumors 6502a

MM Bluetooth.

As long as you don't mind cleaning the scroll ball every 2-3 weeks go for it.

No problems w/waking.

I picked up a pair of nimh rechargeables so that I don't have to d!ck around w/alkalines every 4 weeks.

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I bought my Mac Pro (first Mac) in February, and got the Bluetooth Might Mouse with it.

I got it set up, but the thing just didn't work. The cursor crawled across my desktop very slowly. An unusable pace. Like, it could take 5 minutes to get all the way across my screen. I adjusted my mouse settings up to the fastest one, and and it didn't help.

It could have been a line-of-sight issue. The signals has to travel through my desk, my lap, my chair, then a garbage can before it gets to the mouse, but chances are there was a problem with the mouse that could have been fixed. Don't know what else I could have done, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Since the MM was an experiment for me anyway, I decided to just put it back in the box, throw it in a drawer and hook up my Logitech MX-1000. No regrets there. It's a great mouse. I have browser forward/back buttons and Dashboard mapped to the side buttons.

24. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I played around with the MM in the Apple Store and to me, it didn't really feel all that great. I wasn't a fan of having to life my index finger off the mouse when I wanted to right click and the scroll ball really did feel a little too small. The buttons on the side weren't really that great. I did however find a BT mouse that looks as if it will fit my needs, the BT600 from RadTech. I searched everywhere to find a place that actually had this mouse in stock and I finally found somewhere that did; three left. Anyways, it will be coming probably by Thursday of next week, I'll let you know how I like it when it gets here :)

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx

Edit: added link for the BT600

25. cube macrumors G5

Mighty bad superfluous design. I don't even need to try it.