Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The only hard thing I will do on mine is to use Lightroom or Capture One when i come over from Aperture. I do not take a million photos and delete all but the few I like, but they are full-frame RAWS and some large format film scans. I do one at a time, no batch processing to speak of.

Would like to do some illustration, and maybe a simple CAD architectural program sort of thing.

Any videos would be simple, not commercial. I don't game and I watch TV on a TV.

The rest is just the usual surf and email, etc. stuff.

I have a TC for backup.

I am thinking Retina, 512 ss storage, but not sure about i5/i7, graphics choices and memory. There is a few hundred dollars there to save if possible, but if there was a question, I would go for whatever. Thanks

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
The base model iMac will more than likely meet your every need. I have the i7 version and i can't say for one moment that I have ever pegged the CPU during Lightroom. So I am pretty confident to say that the i5 3.5gHz is what you want. I would say go with your planned 512ssd and consider getting 16gb ram. I had the unit with 8 initially and found it rather sluggish on Lightroom, but bumped it up to 16 and it worked fine.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The base model iMac will more than likely meet your every need. I have the i7 version and i can't say for one moment that I have ever pegged the CPU during Lightroom. So I am pretty confident to say that the i5 3.5gHz is what you want. I would say go with your planned 512ssd and consider getting 16gb ram. I had the unit with 8 initially and found it rather sluggish on Lightroom, but bumped it up to 16 and it worked fine.

Thanks. I sort of suspected that to be the case. Actually surprised that 16 gb ram is needed.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
Thanks. I sort of suspected that to be the case. Actually surprised that 16 gb ram is needed.

Blame that on Yosemite. The OS is a pig and has major issues with itself under the hood. It was released about 1 year ahead of when it was supposed to, and you just need to think of OS 10.11 as the much needed bug fix.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The only hard thing I will do on mine is to use Lightroom or Capture One when i come over from Aperture. I do not take a million photos and delete all but the few I like, but they are full-frame RAWS and some large format film scans. I do one at a time, no batch processing to speak of.

Would like to do some illustration, and maybe a simple CAD architectural program sort of thing.

Any videos would be simple, not commercial. I don't game and I watch TV on a TV.

The rest is just the usual surf and email, etc. stuff.

I have a TC for backup.

I am thinking Retina, 512 ss storage, but not sure about i5/i7, graphics choices and memory. There is a few hundred dollars there to save if possible, but if there was a question, I would go for whatever. Thanks

Any quad core iMac with a Fusion Drive will do you fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.