Just how much iMac do I need?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by carlgo, May 19, 2015.

1. carlgo macrumors 68000

The only hard thing I will do on mine is to use Lightroom or Capture One when i come over from Aperture. I do not take a million photos and delete all but the few I like, but they are full-frame RAWS and some large format film scans. I do one at a time, no batch processing to speak of.

Would like to do some illustration, and maybe a simple CAD architectural program sort of thing.

Any videos would be simple, not commercial. I don't game and I watch TV on a TV.

The rest is just the usual surf and email, etc. stuff.

I have a TC for backup.

I am thinking Retina, 512 ss storage, but not sure about i5/i7, graphics choices and memory. There is a few hundred dollars there to save if possible, but if there was a question, I would go for whatever. Thanks

2. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

The base model iMac will more than likely meet your every need. I have the i7 version and i can't say for one moment that I have ever pegged the CPU during Lightroom. So I am pretty confident to say that the i5 3.5gHz is what you want. I would say go with your planned 512ssd and consider getting 16gb ram. I had the unit with 8 initially and found it rather sluggish on Lightroom, but bumped it up to 16 and it worked fine.

3. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I sort of suspected that to be the case. Actually surprised that 16 gb ram is needed.

4. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Blame that on Yosemite. The OS is a pig and has major issues with itself under the hood. It was released about 1 year ahead of when it was supposed to, and you just need to think of OS 10.11 as the much needed bug fix.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any quad core iMac with a Fusion Drive will do you fine.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

I couldn't agree more, any one of them will do the OP well.