Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
So, I've read all the post, I'm trying to partition an external drive for FAT32, and HFS+ journaled.

When I plug the drive into the MAC, USB2.0, it recognizes the drive. So, go to Disk Utility,

from there, I have a blank sheet, so I create TWO partitions, one is currently labled as FREE space, and the other I setup to be MAC partition and selected macintosh OS, journaled. This one is going to be 380GB of the 500GB.

When I click on PARTITION, a pop-up comes up that says, this will erase all data, fine, there is currently nothing on the drive.

Then, I click okay, up comes the rainbow beach ball and there is sits, for a LONG time, I have left it for 30+ minutes, but it never seems to finish. As well, it doesn't seem to be accessing the DRIVE, the activity lights are not running red.

Does it just take a LONGGGG time? After about 40+ minutes, I kill the operation in activity monitor, since disk utility is showing not responsding.

Anyone, thoughts, better way to do this?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
ultra

It is an ultra case, with a 500gb seagate drive in it.
I had it hooked up to a pc, which worked fine, and when I had a 100gb NTFS partition on there, it popped up on the mac fine, didn't try to read and write to it, but it popped up fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.