iPod touch just how unbearable to use is your JB IPT 4G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Troneas, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

because sometimes i feel the urge of throwing mine out of the window.

i dont want to lose my jailbreak and i want to avoid running ilex rat and install everything again, but if doing any of this will restore decent usability then i might consider it.

my IPT 4G has no "real" problems with the jailbreak. it works as intended when its not coming to a complete halt for lack of resources; apps take a few attempts to open at times (they crash upon launch) and multitasking is a complete nightmare. even the keyboard lags; and browsing with safari has tested all my patience limits.

a year ago i remember being able to play games such as CSR racing or other resource intense games without a problem. now, i can even go take a 20 min. shower before the app is ready for me to provide water to the crocodile in "where is my water".

i dont have pirated apps or tweaks and the ones i have are mostly mainstream ones - same as the ones i have on my IP 4S.

namely: activator, adblocker, colorkeyboard, folderenhancer, icaughtu, lockinfo5, opener, springtomize 2, winterboard (with theme), BDP, bytafont, gridlock 2, icleaner pro, iwidgets, mylocation, snowcoversimple, switchy, wallpaper jpegifier.

so, is my problem the jailbreak? is it the tweaks? is it IOS 6.1.0?

i try to perform maintenance as much as possible by running icleaner, closing background apps and cleaning memory, and i even disabled many daemons as suggested on these forums. but these measure will ony offer a short temporary boost.

id like to read opinions of other people who use the IPT 4G. are you guys experiencing the same?

the reason i still want to keep it is because i dock it in my home stereo to listen to music and as a replacement to browse the web and play silly games in bed when my IP is charging. i dont want to spend the money on a new IPT 5G nor in a new home stereo that will support its new cable.

so, what should i do with it? will getting rid of the JB and back to the ugly iOS 6 increase the performance to a point where it might be worth it?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

3. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

What do you mean "use"? when my ipod 4 was jailbroken it took like an hour to even turn on! not a good idea. ditch that jailbreak

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Well something must have gone wrong with yours, mine always worked fine jailbroken.

5. lucastatic macrumors regular

There is no problem with the device or the jailbreak. Use Mobile Terminal and top to figure out what processes are eating up the resources. It's probably just one tweak gone wild, bogging the whole system down.

6. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

This is very true. Great tool. Instead of typing "top" on the command line type
    "Top -u", this will list the proccess that's using the most CPU up top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. Troneas thread starter macrumors 65816

Troneas

i am typing "top" and "top -u" in mobile terminal and getting this:

"-sh: top: command not found".

any further help on this appreciated.

8. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Go to cydia and search Top and install it, then try again.

9. Troneas thread starter macrumors 65816

Troneas

couldnt find the Top package in cydia. do you happen to know in which repo it is?

ive made a search and found a suggestion to get apt-get for this command. will this work?

10. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

You have to set yourself up as a developer. You're probably set as a user.

11. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

In Cydia, go to Manage, then click Settings in the top left and where it says "Who Are You?", change it from User to Hacker or Developer. User hides all the terminal goodies.

12. Troneas thread starter macrumors 65816

Troneas

duh! :eek:

ok i managed to set it up.

this is what i am getting. i was hoping it would offer me some more insight into the problem but it seems i am not quite qualified to analyse this yet.

if anyone finds anything here that stands out please let me know :)

(here are both the "type" and "type -u" commands - in that order - , although the latter kept constantly changing on my screen)

thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

13. lucastatic macrumors regular

Basically what you're looking at is a list of all the running processes on your device. These processes include system processes which govern the basic functions of your device, in addition to in any backgrounded apps/processes. System processes are named cryptic-ish things like launchd, springboard, wifid, mediaserver etc. Backgrounded apps are usually much more easily identified.

It's akin to the Task Manager in Windows. In the Task Manager usually the first thing you do to figure out what program/process is bogging down your computer is you sort the list you're looking at to display the most CPU heavy processes on top, or your sort it by heaviest RAM processes.

I recommend doing this with top as well as the snapshots you linked do no one any good as they are small slices of the big picture, and there may be a heavier process just off-screen. Use this for your top command to sort by CPU: top -F -R -o cpu

This is where you will have to spend time to learn the average cpu load of each typical process to see what ones are using abnormal amounts. I imagine your device becomes fluid and responsive after a clean boot, so run top then to see the average load in that 'ideal' scenario. When your device starts acting sluggish, run top again to see if there's anything that has a consistently high cpu load.

Screenshots posted here will not let us help you as that list fluctuates wildly depending on what the device is doing. What you need to find out is what it's doing when it shouldn't be doing anything.

Important note: EXITING MOBILETERMINAL does not terminate the top process! If you've not rebooted your device since posting those screenshots above, and you didn't close out of top properly, I'd bet top is still running. To 'quit' top just type q as you're looking at the list. Typing q will terminate top and then when you exit MobileTerminal you can rest easy that top isn't running rampant in the background, gathering stats you aren't even looking at. Similarly if you forget to type q to terminate top, you can run top to see what the PIDs (process IDs) of the previous top processes are and, using MobileTerminal, typing kill PID will kill said process. Don't let top run longer than it needs to.

14. matts1 macrumors newbie

I've had my IPT4G jailbroken since evasion first came out and am still using 6.1.0. In my experience the only slowdown I have ever experienced while JB was using theming. It was like night and day when I started using Winterboard. I may just have more tolerance for how long an app takes to load. But, the only thing that takes more than a second or two is the Simpsons game Tapped Out. But, it really doesn't bother me.

Troneas, you said that you used springtomize. Now this is just theory but since Springtomize does do theming, maybe that is the source of your slowdown. Having never used it myself I can't say my own experience but maybe its worth a try.

The apps/tweaks I use are: Activator, Altkeyboard, Auxo, Browserchooser, Bytafont, DisplayOut, FastBlurredNotificationCenter, Live Battery Indicator, SearchAmplius, Searchloader, SwipeSelection,Sysinfoplus, and Source Master.

So as you can see I do have alot of tweaks. You just have to figure out what is causing your slowdown problem.

15. Troneas thread starter macrumors 65816

Troneas

thanks for everyone's suggestions.

i will monitor this over time with this new 'top' tweak. it is clear for me now that it is not normal behaviour of a JB IPT 4G and i have to find the root of the problem.

it might take some time.

@matts1. thanks for the heads up. i have considered the possibility of this lag being caused by winterboard. unfortunately for me themeing is a big reason to jailbreak - along with essential productivity tweaks - so if i have to get rid of it i might very well just remove the JB altogether and rest my mind from everything cydia related from then on.