Just installed 10.5... computer much slower

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrmacdude, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mrmacdude macrumors newbie

I just installed Leopard on my 2.4 ghz core 2 duo MBP.

Everything is much slower since I upgraded, and many of my applications hang for about 1 second every 10 seconds.

What gives?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How did you install? Erase and Install, Archive and Install or Upgrade?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I guess you did an upgrade install. I greatly recommend you backup and do a fresh install, then move your stuff back.

4. triddent222 macrumors regular

I did an Erase and Install, everything is perfectly smooth, if not faster than Tiger (AirPort menu, hallelujah!).

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

6. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

It would suck to redo all my settings, but I guess it is do-able.

7. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I waited for that to finish, still very slow.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

I think Logan's got it. If you just installed it, then Spotlight is still indexing. Give it some time, run the updates, maybe repair disk permissions, have some tea, fly a kite, get a dog, and then see if it is any better

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yep, I spent a day on it. Felt much better...

10. otis123 macrumors 6502a

couldnt he get away with a A/I though? my slowness seems to come and go, but the only drop in speed i ever see is typing in spotlight, other than that leopard runs much better than tiger ever did on my computer.

11. ivnj macrumors 65816

I have 1.66 duo mini. Regular duo not even 2 duo. 2gb ram. Everything is smooth. So ya it shouldn't bad on your end. Erase and Install.

ivnj

12. mrmacdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I've decided to erase and install.

Whats the best why to archive my entire harddrive?

I do have an external.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Carbon Copy Cloner :)

I would recommend SuperDuper, but people (including myself) have had problems booting from an SD drive after installing Leopard...

14. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Good luck man. I at first did an upgrade and it was very sluggish on the dock and genie effects. I figured that something was amiss so I said eff it and didnt an erase and install.

It is slightly smoother on the genie effect but dash board and the dock are still choppy as hell. Bottom line is it is not spotlight. It is the Nvidia drivers, as that is the only explaination. Just sit tight and deal with it. If the first update doesnt fix your issue then go through the hassle.

MBP 2.2 Stock here

15. aceducy macrumors member

You've got to reboot after an install, dude. Probably 2-3 times. So much mess gets cached up during the install that doesn't release. Your machine will actually start paging [swap] if you don't reboot it. Login/out won't do, it's got to restart.

There's a one-line mention of this in the installation readme. I saw a guy the other day that was pulling his hair out over this, it had gone on for a week. Reboot and **poof**

However, I'm a newbie on this forum and newbies are basically dumbazzes so your mileage will vary

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

Spotlight is indexing you drive. I did not slow down my iMac much but then the iMacs have faster HDs Other than that the imac and MBP is about the same specs, Take a look in Activity Monitor and see what is happening

17. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I will say this is very true. When I first installed (archive and install) it was sluggish. Expose and the genie effect were pretty bad, but lately the more I use it, the better it gets. I have a Macbook 1.83 Core Duo w/ 2gb ram...

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I'm not buying this erase and install stuff. It should be a last resort situation, not a standard practice.

19. ahand macrumors member

i did an upgrade on my mbp and it ran slow for a bit. now it runs much faster than it did with tiger. sometimes it seems to hang up opening applications for the first time only, after the initial first opening it opens them within three or so bounces of the icon.

20. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I was pretty scared when I went to install Leopard on monday after reading all these types of threads, but everything went silky smooth(except the restart after it finished..after sitting for 2 hours I finally reset it, then it was fine again) took about an hour or 2 to index spotlight, I booted into Vista and installed the drivers on the Leopard disc, and then rebooted back to Leopard, and everything seemed pretty fast. I did notice though the first time I booted back there was an eject symbol next to the clock on the upper right that when clicked allowed me to select my superdrive to eject the disc in it....it went away after I restarted, and that is all I have ever seen of it. in that same session none of my stacks would work when I clicked on anything inside them...other than that, Leopards been fast and predictable.
    Sorry your having trouble with it, I hope reinstalling fixed it for ya.:apple:

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your best Leopard experience will be from 2 things, either a reformat and install of the OS or a factory preinstalled image of Leopard on your computer. Archive and Install is best for spring cleaning but never for an OS upgrade and before anyone doesn't agree with me about this I have read countless threads that say this as well as personal experience when I upgraded to Tiger from Panther using Archive and Install. It was very choppy but then I erased in Disk Utility and did a clean install and no issues.

My new iMac came with Tiger so used the UTD disc and did a reformat and clean install and not a hint of sluggish behavior. Stacks opens smoothly and everything is much faster than in Tiger. :)