Just installed 2 new Drives in 2006 MP, now it won't boot.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Obsidian6, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Ok I'm absolutely concerned here. I purchased 2 new 1TB internal drives today for my 2006 Mac Pro, and I had shut it down and let it sit for about an hour before opening it up.

I've installed and replaced drives on this machine (and others like it) many times before so I'm well aware of how to do it, but after putting both new drives in sleds 3 and 4 and booting the computer, nothing happens.

It gets to the grey Apple and will sit there for about 5 minutes, and then reboot. It will repeat this process continually.

I tried removing both of those drives but the same thing happens.

Anyone have any idea as to what the heck is causing this?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried selecting boot volumes with the option key? I don't have the exact issues as you (mine just says disk not found) unless I hold the option key and manually choose my boot disk.

A couple times a couple combination of PRAM and SMC resets did it. I know it sounds weird, but I've been having weird start up issues and that's how I've been fixing them. (Which is why I never shut it down).

Now have you trying verifying the disks to make sure they're all right? Did you accidentally bump the RAM or something?

3. motox25 macrumors member

Sounds to me like loose ram or HDs. Reseat your HD sleds and ram and try that.

4. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I got it into target disk mode and found that suddenly my startup disk was corrupt. Truly baffled as to how that can happen all of a sudden, it's been running fine for quite some time.

I'm trying some tests in drive genius via my macbook pro right now, so I will hopefully figure that out. I will try re-seating the ram as well.

I will also try flashing the PRAM and SMC and see if that gets me anywhere.

I'll report back afterwards.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good luck. I'd back up your important data off of that drive for those just-in-case situations.

6. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

SMC reset fixed it.

WHEW! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

(I had everything backed up, and could still access the drive contents via Target Disk Mode, but still. What a freak-out!)

7. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Welllll it looks like I was wrong.

I had to do a reboot this afternoon after installing some updates and it went right back to the same problem.

Only this time. Resetting the SMC did nothing.

Back to square 1.

Ideas?

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Isolate the issue of the hard drive against other potential problems. Since you can assess it with target disk mode, how about cloning your old boot drive to another hard drive and seeing if the new drive will boot?

9. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Once I get the computer booted, it will not reboot unless I unplug everything and reset the SMC a couple times

Something is seriously screwed up.

I've run disk utility numerous times and nothing bad is being reported.

10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd have the compute checked out just in case, even if you're out of warranty. Apple will do it for free no doubt, and most shops offer free consultation.

12. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I'm still in warranty until about the middle of next year.

I've been trying to get this demon machine replaced since december of last year. They keep promising me a replacement unit and keep changing their minds.

I've had 4 ATI x1900s fail on me, a logic board failure, and a superdrive failure. And now whatever problem I currently have. This computer practically lives at the Genius Bar.

I don't want to be the guy that goes in and yells and screams and demands his way, but how can I be stern, yet polite, enough to finally get the replacement they've been promising me?

Should I call applecare directly?

13. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

The Genius bar should have a record of all your repairs. Maybe if you call Applecare and tell them that it's been in X times, and you ask for a replacement, they might give it to you if you get right customer support person... Good luck!

14. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I'm just afraid to turn it off to be honest, I actually really need it for a video project I'm working on.

This is just the absolute worst timing lol.

(I could probably survive editing on my old macbook pro for a while.)

15. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Well, I've made an appointment for a phone-call from Applecare today (in about an hour)

I hope they will replace the computer, not just because "I want a new one" but literally because my job depends on it, I can't trust this one.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

16. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Well I had my call today with applecare, and they were very kind and helpful. We determined that my external time machine drive was preventing my computer from booting up. I've never had this happen before, and the weird thing is I've had this drive for a long while and it's never prevented my computer from booting before.

However, that being said, the guy I spoke with gave me his direct line and email address, and he told me that if I have any more problems that are hardware related to contact him directly and he will do everything he can to get me a replacement mac pro.

So I guess.. I want my computer to die? haha.

17. OZMP macrumors 6502

from XP experience, the boot order of drives will do this in BIOS, not sure on EFI, but i had a similar issue when playing with tri-booting osx/linux/xp, ran a repair on the boot drives EFI crap from the install DVD, issue resolved... other way was to edit it from linux, but that was a bandaid to get it to boot til i could find my old GPU so i could boot off of the 10.5 disk!